Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old new gear

Old new gear

I have a 1997 Mariner 15hp on my punt that died on me last October just as the hunting season began, it seemed to struggle coming up the river; I took it in to my mechanic friend who told me it was not worth fixing: Compression was down to 30 psi, leaking oil, the rings were worn out and the head gasket needed replacing. I made do with a good 9.8 Merc for the season, but it was not strong enough to tow another punt, so my son and I confined ourselves to one boat. I had hoped to do more exploring in the marsh but it was not to be. Fast forward to last week and I get a surprise call telling me that $400 later, new rings, new head gasket and plugs, compression is at 128psi and it is all fixed. I put it on the punt today and it fired up first effortless, buttery pull - it idles like it is new. I like getting new stuff, but I find it more satisfying getting old stuff to work better and last longer. For some reason I am unreasonably happy about getting this old motor up and running, even though duck season is many months away.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Old new gear

a GREAT rebuild - Excellent ! RJ

Even better because I figured it was dead. A new 15hp, or a questionable used one, was not on the cards.

Thanks for the heads up on Mariner longevity....or lack of
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Thats satisfying.. I like fixing stuff.
    A buddy once gave me an engine he found in the dump..a 394 husqvarna power saw engine..that was 20 years ago, it still runs.

Last summer I revived a Yamaha built Mariner 4hp from the mid - late ‘80s, the lower end was toast thanks to fishing line wrapped up on the shaft taking out the seal. Combined with a total lack of maintenance, the rusty mess of the geartrain was beyond repair. A used leg got new bearings and seals, new water pump impeller, fuel shut-off valve, carb clean... runs like new now, makes me smile inside even though I fix broken down stuff for a living. Bringing new life to stuff that would otherwise be scrap is a great form of recycling IMHO.
    Pretend hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    Thats satisfying.. I like fixing stuff.
    A buddy once gave me an engine he found in the dump..a 394 husqvarna power saw engine..that was 20 years ago, it still runs.
    A 394, that’s modern technology compared to my saw. It’s a husky L65 from the 60’s or 70’s, damn thing won’t give me an excuse to “upgrade”. It can sit months on end, start with a couple pulls and doesn’t miss a beat. I can’t justify replacing it.
    Pretend hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by landphil View Post
    A 394, that’s modern technology compared to my saw. It’s a husky L65 from the 60’s or 70’s, damn thing won’t give me an excuse to “upgrade”. It can sit months on end, start with a couple pulls and doesn’t miss a beat. I can’t justify replacing it.
    Ya , and some guys wonder why husqvarna..

I have a Yamy Mariner 15 from the '80s. It's simple and solid. It replaced a 7.5 blue band Merc from the mid '70s. I found the Merc in the park when I was walking the dog. So I turned it in and got it back a month later. The bottom end was seized.( my guess that's why it was "stolen") I bought a 7.5 off Craig's list with a highly questionable top end. I overpaid at $125 but between the two I had excellent 7.5. The Mariner has enough power to plane the tinny. The 7.5 was an almost.

The Japanese do small carbs really well, and their electronics aren't too shabby either. The rest is simple to the point of crude.

Later small Mariners are Tohatsu .

The 9.8 Merc I was using is an awesome engine too. It is rebuilt from the 1980s by the same guy that fixed my Mariner; very high compression and runs awesome. The issue, aside from its overall inability to plane the boat, is the long leg. It bottoms faster than the stumpy Mariner - something I was introduced to the hard way. Still, it did the job and I am pleased for all that.