Thread: Region 8, Trepanier Spring Bear

Region 8, Trepanier Spring Bear

Hey guys,

Me and some buddies are new to the Ok and are looking at getting into some more back country, backpack hunting. I've been looking into Trepanier Protected area online, and am going to go do some scouting this weekend out there.

I'm really just wondering if anyone has hunted the area much and if anyone see's a lot of bear in the area. On satellite it looks damn promising!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Region 8, Trepanier Spring Bear

It is like park. Too close to Peachland/Westbank. Lot of traffic.

I've been eye-ing up Gottfriedson mountain, just haven't had the chance to get out there and check it out (don't live there anymore). Not sure what access is like, but it looks nice from the Coq.

Just take a drive anywhere up there. There's day and days worth of exploring on the North and South side of the highway. Bear Creek main runs from the top of the Coq all the way down to the lake on Westside road, with tons of roads branching off of it.

It does get quite busy though... I've yet to go in and not run across at least a couple
    other hunters. The access is very good and therefore tons of traffic

Google earth, or get the fat map app, look at it closely.

If you want to get away from the crowd strap on your boots and pack and get after it. Use the FSR's to get close but base your access into an area via hiking even if it means several miles. There are bears all over this province just keep your eyes peeled through a good set of binos.

Tips and tricks will only get you so far from other hunters. Nothing is more satisfying than exploring a new area by yourself, and putting in your own hard work. Good results and success will come in time.

Good Luck!
    "You have to be comfortable with being uncomfortable." -Remi Warren

BCWF, WSSBC

For the early season there is way too much snow in there, and the park is all old growth so not a tonne of food for them other than you might find them feeding on grass on south facing slopes...Gottfriedson Mtn is cool but it is regrown thick in there, but there is bear sign...just gotta find them at the right time...

Have seen the same big buck 2 years in a row in a block that butts up against the park, hanging out right along the edge of the trees. The trees were hopelessly thick, zero chance of stalking a getting a shot in it. I guess that's why he got big.

HarryToolips that makes sense.. I was planning on glassing all that west side, eastern facing embankment along the trench, but it all being old growth is a good point.