Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Web site not using TLS/HTTPS

Web site not using TLS/HTTPS

This site doesn't use encryption, even for the sign in. My password manager complains bitterly about it.

I've gone to total encryption for the sites I manage. One hosting company I use (canadianwebhosting) offers them for free (I think it's actually cpanel that sets it up). You can also get free certificates from Let's Encrypt.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Web site not using TLS/HTTPS

I noticed that long ago but I don't have any important information on here, so it doesn't matter.
    But it could create problems for the site managers.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Google is pushing for encryption of all sites and down ranks sites that are open. It's also about the data. ISPs (like Shaw and Telus) monitor your browsing and sell the data to advertisers which competes with how Google makes their money.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Dog View Post
    Google is pushing for encryption of all sites and down ranks sites that are open. It's also about the data. ISPs (like Shaw and Telus) monitor your browsing and sell the data to advertisers which competes with how Google makes their money.

Yes but https adds considerable overhead and cost to HTTP.
    I am personally not for encrypting information that doesn't need encryption.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    Yes but https adds considerable overhead and cost to HTTP.
    I am personally not for encrypting information that doesn't need encryption.
    There is no insignificant overhead for HTTPS.

And you can get free certificates now using Let's Encrypt.

Last I checked HBC runs Linux with a cPanel front end if I recall correctly.

It would involve running a couple of commands to install certbot, generate the certificate, adding a TXT record to the DNS for validation... then copy and paste the certificate key into the SSL Wizard in cPanel... DONE. An .htaccess mod_rewrite entry could even automatically convert HTTP to HTTPS for any existing / hard coded links.

This would protect from people from intercepting passwords, reading other peoples PM's, particularly on public networks. It would also significantly boost search engine ranking.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 04-06-2020 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    There is no insignificant overhead for HTTPS.

And you can get free certificates now using Let's Encrypt.

Last I checked HBC runs Linux with a cPanel front end if I recall correctly.

It would involve running a couple of commands to install certbot, generate the certificate, adding a TXT record to the DNS for validation... then copy and paste the certificate key into the SSL Wizard in cPanel... DONE. An .htaccess mod_rewrite entry could even automatically convert HTTP to HTTPS for any existing / hard coded links.

This would protect from people from intercepting passwords, reading other peoples PM's, particularly on public networks. It would also significantly boost search engine ranking.
    is it just me.............i have no idea what any of that means..............

none

nada

nope not just you

Quote Originally Posted by whognu View Post

none

nada
    That's ok. Been doing this stuff on a daily basis, multiple times a day for 22 years, so my nerd speak is strong.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    That's ok. Been doing this stuff on a daily basis, multiple times a day for 22 years, so my nerd speak is strong.
    fair enough............my wife thinks i am good at something

she just can't put her finger on what it might be...................

xo

Geeeezzzz. What the heck are you guys talking about ? Maybe one of you tech gurus could dumb that down a WHOLE bunch and put it in layman’s terms so us challenged fellas could at least make an attempt to understand !
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake

Quote Originally Posted by whognu View Post

none

nada
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !