My goal for the year is to get started in "bird hunting", currently open to both upland and water-fowling, so this is somewhat of a "crossover" post to the upland forum. Just trying to get some opinions around what's the best way to get started. Some of my thoughts and constraints:

• I don't own a boat
  • Have been hiking around the dykes by Tsawassen Mills last fall and there was a lot(!) of blasting going on as well as lots of bird watchers and photographers. Looks like conflict waiting to happen?
  • Drove around some of the farmland around Tsawassen Mills and Surrey: Lot's of "no hunting" signs and hard to find the owners. Also, it appears that quite a bit(?) of form land is leased to hunting clubs (hearsay!)
  • Did I mention I don't own a boat?

All of the above make upland bird hunting appealing. The thought of getting back at some of those grouse that regularly send me into cardiac arrest while sneaking through the forest for deer puts a smile on my face. But..... darn I see a TON of geese and ducks every day and it just seems like such a wasted opportunity....

So it "looks" like the barrier to entry (literally) is quite higher for waterfowl, but the chance taking up significant freezer space is also significantly higher once a decent spot if found?

Thoughts??? Advise???

Much obliged!