Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New puppy that seems to love to retrieve

New puppy that seems to love to retrieve

Ok so breed wise I understand the tried and true hunting dogs from good lines, however 4 weeks ago my wife talked me into getting another family dog as our fox terrier is 17 now and not as spry as he used to be.
    so we ended up getting a labradoodle crosses with an English springer spaniel. Now I figured there may be a chance he could be good for upland birds as he is gentle with his bite when retrieving his stuffed toy and also does not move until told to retrieve. i feel this isn’t too bad for 10 weeks old but I have never hunted with a dog so have no clue

I would like some experienced persons opinions on the best routes to go and any suggestions on literature that would help me get started
    thanks
    Nick

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New puppy that seems to love to retrieve

Last edited by nwalter; 03-24-2020 at 12:51 AM.

Sure is adorable.
    congrats
    Steven

Considering all 3 breeds, Labrador, Poodle and Spaniel were bred to hunt, yes even the poodle was originally bred as a hunting dog, I would say chances are you will have a good dog there.
    Try to be the person your dog thinks you are.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinnewbie View Post
    Considering all 3 breeds, Labrador, Poodle and Spaniel were bred to hunt, yes even the poodle was originally bred as a hunting dog, I would say chances are you will have a good dog there.
    Gun Dog magazine had a very good article on a hunting Poodle breeder in the U.S., they are Standard Poodles. There's been more than one mutt that turned into very serviceable hunting dog. But that said, the tried and true method to obtain a good hunting dog is to go through a responsible breeder of hunting breeds, but that said thats not always 100% either. You might get very lucky and have a good hunting dog, but if not, it looks like you'll have a great pet, what a cutie. Good Luck with your new addition.

Your dog by virtue of breeding(1/4 lab. 1/4 Poodle and 1/2 Springer) is a flushing dog. Here is the best book and video I have ever seen on training the all purpose flushing/retriever.
    https://www.amazon.ca/Gun-Dog-Traini...1&sr=8-1-fkmr3

https://www.amazon.ca/Training-Spani...ST4P9GKRTCZPHG
    I shoot a "Girly Gun" a lil' ol' 45-70
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and the pig likes it."

I have recommended the above book/video to probably 100 puppy buyers over the years. all gave it the thumbs up
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

^^ between Cedar and Foxton you have a wealth of experience giving you the advice above.

I hope your dog is everything you are looking for. What better way to pass the social distancing time than training a pup?
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Thank you so much for the information I am going to see if there is a digital copy of it so I can get reading

Alright, there's enough crap being posted these days as everyone starts to get a little shack wacky. Please share pics of your puppy