Thread: Barney's Packs - modifications or improvments?

Barney's Packs - modifications or improvments?

Good evening everyone,

As I sit here packing/unpacking/repacking my gear and trying out some different items, I was wondering if any Barney's pack owners on here ever have replaces the clevis pins with a bolt and nyloc nut/wing nut?

I was thinking that or maybe a chicago screw instead of the pins and rings as those are sometimes a pain to take on and off in the field.

Just got wife to sew some bartacks on to the harness webbing strap-ends, and added some paracord loops for easier tightening/loosening of the buckles which worked out really well.

Anyone have any other modifications or add-ons they recommend? Lots of time to tinker with gear so might as well get everything rigged up.

Cheers,
    Andy

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Barney's Packs - modifications or improvments?

Didnt replace the pins but found them noisey so wrapped tap on them.

Fabricated a small piece of steel pipe with a metal hook on top to hold my rifle sling. The piece of pipe slides into the side tube at the top and the top pin holds it in place. Sprayed it all with liquid rubber. Hold the rifle in place instead of sliding off the shoulder all the time but easy enough to get off.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

Nice thanks BHB that is a great idea

Clipped off all of the clinking metal zipper tabs and replaced with paracord pull - helps quiet things down a bit (seems to make a difference in my sanity while walking!)

Quote Originally Posted by bighornbob View Post
    Fabricated a small piece of steel pipe with a metal hook on top to hold my rifle sling. The piece of pipe slides into the side tube at the top and the top pin holds it in place. Sprayed it all with liquid rubber. Hold the rifle in place instead of sliding off the shoulder all the time but easy enough to get off.

BHB
    i made a much easier to make rifle sling.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

I too tape my pins.
    Only thing I dislike about my Barney’s is it makes a odd squeak noise every step.
    anyone experience same?

Haven't had that on the Barneys but have on other framed packs. Usually there is some dirt/debris that has worked its way under various straps against the frame. A bunch of my other packs I just re paint the frame after a few years if they are starting to get worn in spots.

A heads up for guys looking to get some more belt comfort; looks like Barneys is trying out and going to be making a nice lumbar pad that can attach to the hip belt. I messaged Kevin Dana there and he said pending the lockdowns they are hoping to get them ready for order by June/July