Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly backup 45/70 or 12 gauge

Re: Grizzly backup 45/70 or 12 gauge

That's true but a 12 ga with good quality 3" slugs is a punisher as well, and when the crap hits the fan most people don't feel the recoil. Imho.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    That's true but a 12 ga with good quality 3" slugs is a punisher as well, and when the crap hits the fan most people don't feel the recoil. Imho.
    Truth to that for sure.

Hmmm used a old rusted laminated .350 mag? Betties insistence. ..
    I never us a 45/70..
    But used a winchester shotgun with Brenkey, slugs...as backup for years..
    Last close call was with Big bore, his brother Rob..on the south side of Kwatna bay when a HUGE mom a grizzlies and her 2 2 year old juvenile delinquents decided to charge the 3 of us...I never felt under gunned with the shotgun...
    In practice I could separate a tree big round as my thigh with 2 shots...
    Cheers
    Srupp

More on the 45/70 GG using 540 gr. & 420 gr.
    https://rugerforum.net/hunting/8263-...n-45-70-a.html

Marlin 45-70 using buffalo bore 405 gr. –instant death to a grizz.(posted this before)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffDngrAe1Ww
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

No doubt a shotgun has stopped many bears in their tracks using slugs, buckshot & even bird shot.

SD of Garrett’s 540gr is 0.368. SD of shotgun slugs is around 0.150 or worse.
    Chuck Hawks recommends at least 0.300 SD for thick skinned dangerous game for maximum penetration all other factors being equal.

Shotgun vs bear
    Oct. 2018-Lawrence Michalchuk in Bella Coola momentarily stopped a charging grizz with birdshot from a very close distance in his yard preventing an attack only losing his right shoe.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj7Z5oMWuIU

Shotgun saves the day
    https://www.juneauempire.com/news/ar...charging-bear/

Brenneke fails to penetrate grizz skull!
    https://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com...vs-bear-thread
    Comment #4-Is this the photo?

“People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Lots of good info from guys with experience. I would think that another part of the OPs defense should be education. Surprising how many Vancouver island guys head off into grizz country without really thinking about being bear safe.

Quote Originally Posted by snipersights View Post
    Okay you have convinced me now to convince the wife. Thanks for the info
    My wife always gave me shit for bringing a gun on our non-hunting trips. One really mild New Year’s Day walk along the Lilloet River up by Meagher Cr we suddenly saw some big foot prints join the trail in the snow in front of us. It was pretty dry snow, so didn’t show tracks too well, and it took me a couple of steps to realize what made them. Then we saw the giant steaming pile of crap... Now if I DON’T bring the .45-70 I get asked why not!

I have been shooting 405 grain cast lately, and find the heavier bullet weight is easier to shoot than the 325 grain LeverEvolution rounds. I’m a big fan of lever guns, and my 1895 GS with RPP peep sight is a fantastic piece of gear. A big loop would be nice though.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    My wife always gave me shit for bringing a gun on our non-hunting trips. One really mild New Year’s Day walk along the Lilloet River up by Meagher Cr we suddenly saw some big foot prints join the trail in the snow in front of us. It was pretty dry snow, so didn’t show tracks too well, and it took me a couple of steps to realize what made them. Then we saw the giant steaming pile of crap... Now if I DON’T bring the .45-70 I get asked why not!

I have been shooting 405 grain cast lately, and find the heavier bullet weight is easier to shoot than the 325 grain LeverEvolution rounds. I’m a big fan of lever guns, and my 1895 GS with RPP peep sight is a fantastic piece of gear. A big loop would be nice though.
    So am I.
    My first rifle was the original Win. 30/30 that I bought at Foxies by Charlie Lake in 1965 when I was a teen.
    My brother still has the original rifle.

I forgot to mention that shortly after I purchased the 45/70 GG I practiced with it at a gravel pit on Meadow Lake Road on the way to the GANG.
    I used paper plates at say 20 or less, 30 & 40 yards shooting them as fast as possible both scoped & unscoped & had no problem hitting them. Was told to aim for the middle of a charging bear.
    Back in the 60's while legal surveying in the Yukon wilderness did the same with my mag. revolver. Fortunately never had to use it.

I've killed quite a few bears with shotguns using buckshot, mostly because they were in shotgun only zones. Buckshot is great at close range, especially if you can get the head. Buckshot gets really lousy as you increase the distance. One (big) bear took multiple body shot rounds, getting knocked down then getting back up. It was only moving in close that the buckshot took it down hard. But others have died fast with a close range (like a few steps away) load to it's lungs or o, adif f course the head.

Good slugs like a BRenneke or Challenger penetrate like a mofo, and if you are going to use a shotgun for bear defense, that is what I would suggest. (standard Foster style rifled slugs work too, but are less hard) But you gotta be able to hit with them, and many shotgun sights are not great for that. So you have to practice, practice, practice. People think that buckshot will give you better "hit potential" but the range you would be shooting at a bear defensively is going to be a few paces, where the buckshot hasn't really spread out anyway.

Lots of people choose a 45/70 for bear defense, too. It's certainly not a bad choice, especially if you are using handloaded or specialty ammo (The generic 45/70 is anemic as it has to be able to be used in very old rifles too) and if you love lever actions, it's probably a good choice. But it's just a big, slow bullet. But your regular hunting rifle in 270/308 or 7RM is probably going to work just as well.

If you want real power in a compact package, look at a .375 Ruger in one of the more compact offerings. Way more power than a 45/70, not much more weight.

I live in bear country, lots of black bears and an increasing amount of grizzly bears. Most of them aren't a big deal. My "bear defense" philosophy has changed over time. I used to just think "shotgun with brenneke slugs"

• Going for my daily hike with the dog and not really expecting trouble? 45 Colt Mares leg with red dot, 300gr XTP. Clip on single point sling, closest we can do to a handgun. I would just carry a 9mm Glock if allowed.
    • Going for a longer hike ? 45 Colt M94 16" trapper. Easy to carry, easier to shoot than Mares Leg, same load.
    • Going into an area that I probably will see grizzlies? No point in playing cowboy with lever guns or shotguns-375 Ruger
    • On a backcountry hunting trip? Mostly I use .308, 300WSM, 375 Ruger- all are more than capable of killing a grizzly bear, so no extra guns added.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Would my old Husqvarna Mauser 98 chambered in 8x57 shooting 200gr Nosler Partitions be enough for both hunting and defence against bears?