Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly backup 45/70 or 12 gauge

Re: Grizzly backup 45/70 or 12 gauge

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    Remember not to shoot the bear in the foot.
    Thanks Man. I fealt bad about that hunt so I spent months this year shooting target, shooting in the wind, practicing my breathing, slowing my heart rate, and making sure my rifle is spot on. I’m now sighted bang on at 200 with my 6.5 creedmor. I have also been studying wind driftage and learning about MOA etc. It’s been a good year and I have never fealt more confident going into a season.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
    That to me is honestly the best plan. What are you using for moose hunting? Do you have a 338 win or similar? It would be perfect for moose hunting and would make you feel confident should you encounter a Grizz charge. Heck, I'd use a 45-70 for moose hunting as well...not like moose are shot at long distance anyway.
    im considering a 45/70 I figure I can hit clays at 100 yards with my .22 iron sights I should be able to hit a moose at the same distance in the vital zone.

In some circumstances, clearcuts come to mind, Moose can be shot at extended range and are. The Flathead, is one area where I have seen this fairly often.

A good .338wm certainly does cover this and the Grizzly issue.

Sooooo anybody has experience with the marlin 1895gbl? I have nothing better to do until I go back to work ( possibly next week) maybe a trip to Cabela’s is in order.

Quote Originally Posted by bcsteve View Post
    If you’re moose hunting you’re probably carrying a rifle more powerful than either of your proposed choices already.
    Maybe ? BUT some people hunt moose with a 243 or 25-06 RJ

My NEW carry Backup rifle is a RUGER Scout Syn rifle in 308 Win with Handloaded Hornady 220 gr RN and a 10 shot mag ! With a RED dot sight its extremely Fast to point and Shoot ! jmo RJ

Just my 2 cents, if you are going with the 45-70, make sure you spend the time and money (ammo is expensive) to be come very comfortable with it.
    Lots of these guns are bought and then up for sale with "very few rounds" threw it. I hate to think of how much i have spent getting to where I am with mind.

The 45-70 and the 450 Marlin with FULL power heavy Bullet loads are NOT for the faint of heart - I've had BOTH and loaded bullets as heavy as 540 grs in both ! I called those TRAIN STOPPER's and they Will if you hit your Target !
    So as Liptugger has suggested LOT's of practice is Necesscary !
    I find my New ruger scout 308 Win with 220 is much easier to shoot and it s a GOOD stopper i Believe with Heavy Bullets too ! jmo RJ

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    The 45-70 and the 450 Marlin with FULL power heavy Bullet loads are NOT for the faint of heart - I've had BOTH and loaded bullets as heavy as 540 grs in both ! I called those TRAIN STOPPER's and they Will if you hit your Target !
    I find my New ruger scout 308 Win with 220 is much easier to shoot and it s a GOOD stopper i Believe with Heavy Bullets too ! jmo RJ
    I read somewhere that a guild stopped using the 45-70 as a camp defense gun in lou of a 308 remington semi auto, claiming much faster and easy on any shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    Would you say the 45/70 has more kick then a stoger coach gun? 6.5 Lb 20” barrel 3” slug 1.25 ounce