Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly backup 45/70 or 12 gauge

Re: Grizzly backup 45/70 or 12 gauge

Quote Originally Posted by .330 Dakota View Post
    Hey Moosin,,,yep,,chronied at 2000 out of a stainless guide gun...Limbsaver pad makes all the difference
    Yah but we all know how wonky your chrono is lmao, how you bin buddy long time no speak. 100% agree, when the excrement hits the rotating blades you dont feel recoil you just do what's needed and check the bruise latter.This know
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

My 540 gr Train Stopper Load is very Violent ! Both ENDS ! RJ

I NO longer have the 45-70 Gov or the 450 Marlin ! Funs over With ! For NOW ! RJ

Cool Re: Grizzly backup 45/70 or 12 gauge

Just use the gun you plan to use for moose hunting. If you're asking about a camp gun, either will do. I prefer good ole .12 gauge loaded with slugs.

Well after much research and comments, pms, and suggestions/comparisons I went with a 45/70. Thank you to all who helped me with my decision. I got a marlin 1895 GS stainless steel. Will be taking it out this weekend hopefully to sight in then it’s with me 24-7. I love everything about the gun and Cabela’s has it now for only $899. Don’t go to Nanaimo I bought the last one. Once I have it sighted in and I am confident with it I will be taking it as my bear backup, and possibly christening it on a big island black bear.

Congrats on the new rifle. You will enjoy it for sure.
    I sold my gbl some years back and just replaced it with the new 16” dark series. Such a great rifle.
    I’m running the 400gr Speer at 1800 in my rifle now. It’s got some wallop.

Go get yourself a bear
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by snipersights View Post
    Well after much research and comments, pms, and suggestions/comparisons I went with a 45/70. Thank you to all who helped me with my decision. I got a marlin 1895 GS stainless steel. Will be taking it out this weekend hopefully to sight in then it’s with me 24-7. I love everything about the gun and Cabela’s has it now for only $899. Don’t go to Nanaimo I bought the last one. Once I have it sighted in and I am confident with it I will be taking it as my bear backup, and possibly christening it on a big island black bear.
    No doubt you made the right choice.
    My 375, GG & Eve's GG -stainless steel & easily removable scope.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

The GG cartridges

“People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Make sure you take your time and pick your shot.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

If you're sensitive to recoil look into a rifle or a shoulder pad.
    Personally I have no problem with any of my rifles re: recoil.
    When shooting the 540gr I hold the rifle considerably tighter against the shoulder.

Remember taking the Defender to the range firing my 1st 3" Brenneke. Didn't hold the shotgun tight & got a bleeding cut on my forehead.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    Make sure you take your time and pick your shot.
    Last season made me realize that I need to spend a bit more time and be a bit more careful selecting rifles scopes and learning about accuracy. I’ve also spent a great deal of time this off-season practising my breathing and trying to learn how to slow my heart rate etc. while shooting. I am shooting sub MOMA at 200 yards and just a little outside of it at 300 with the 6.5 Creedmoor. I am definitely more confident than I was last season in my rifle. Turns out the rifle I had had quite a few issues that I wasn’t aware of. All in all it’s been a good off-season I’ve put a ton of practice time in and rounds in and I feel like it has made a huge difference I am very confident now and ready for the new season. With the new 4570 I’ve got it sighted in well at 100 yards and surprisingly I didn’t find the recoil that bad with the Hornady 325 grain bullets. I find it quite easy to shoot cycle and load it is very quick to aim and very accurate.