Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly backup 45/70 or 12 gauge

Re: Grizzly backup 45/70 or 12 gauge

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    Never shot one ! so can't answer BUT i certainly Don't like a 2 SHOT gun for a bear attack ! RJ
    A couple of years ago I ha to crawl into a slash pile that a wounded bear crawled in, the guy who shot it "conveniently" didn't have his gun. When I got into the slash pile I cam literally face to face with Mr. Bear. I had my 325 and just soved it into his face and shot. Fortunately that was the end because if it hadn't been I never could have levered anothe round in time. I have now built a 45-70 Double Gun. I shoot 540 gr Train StoppersI think you know a little about them RJ lol. any African PHs might be on to something lol.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Jim that was no attack and a SXS in that situation was the best Maybe next to a GOOD semi auto !

One thing for sure is MY 540 gr TRAIN STOPPERS will KILL ! RJ

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    SHIT Bullets BUT OK for lung shots on game while hunting BUT no good as a Shoulder Buster on a Big Bear ! The BETTER bullet by FAR is the Hornady 250 gr MONO FTX bullet -it way out penetrates the 325 FTX and it expands good too ! RJ
    Well that’s something I should try next then. Any real world experience example with those bullets?

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    I tend to look at that differently. The leverevolution stuff is designed for killing light game (deer) at extended ranges (200-ish yards). That hardcast load is for breaking bones and digging deep which is preferable in my books in a close range defensive situation. The LE stuff expands fast and dumps a lot of energy, and that would be great on a bear that is feeding and unaware of you. That energy dump will knock the wiggle out really fast. On a bear that knows you are there and you might not get the penetration required to persuade a bear that you aren’t worth messing with.

My SBL will put 3 LeverEvolutions into one big ragged hole at 100yards and smashes deer dead, but I found them to not penetrate as much as I would like. I shot a couple wild pigs with them for giggles. One hog was square facing me and took a round exactly centered in the forehead and traveled a little way down the spinal column. A 60 yard shot that had a 325gr bullet stopped 15” into a 175lb hog. I have gotten better penetration with a 62 tsx from a 223.

I want in a close up situation a bullet that will dig deep and bore straight. I don’t want something that expands fast and slows down faster. But thats just me.
    well give me your choice of bullet to try in a 45-70 for close up bear defense. I find the hard cast I’ve been using just passes through and the animal just keeps coming.

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    well give me your choice of bullet to try in a 45-70 for close up bear defense. I find the hard cast I’ve been using just passes through and the animal just keeps coming.
    PM returned.

I just loaded up some 400gr Speer with h4198. Started at minimum load for 1650fps and I’ll go up from there. These will be launched from a marlin dark series 16”. I remember loading these up in my old GBL at 1900fps and it was a nice stout load. For defence it’s my opinion you don’t need full house loads seeing how you going to be shooting inside 15yards
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    Well that’s something I should try next then. Any real world experience example with those bullets?
    I only shot PINE and FIR with them BUT they penetrated Well and Expanded Nicely ! 2200 FPS RJ

I usually just pack my 243 and hunt with a partner that I know I can out run.

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    I would say it doesn't really matter what action as long as you are proficient with it
    You said it .If you are a bolt gun person and your instinct is reach for the bolt ,don't switch to a leaver .How many times have you cycled your bolt in the heat of a situation and not remembered doing it ? Instinct is crucial in the heat of the moment. If you switch to a leaver practice practice practice .

Shot placement is a lot more important than calibre.

Most guys would find the 45/70 does damage on both ends and that is not conducive to good shooting.