Thread: What license do I need if..

What license do I need if..

Question for you folks..

I have a friend who wants to go black bear hunting this spring, I have no interest in hunting a bear but I do enjoy getting out there in the nature and using my gun to target practice.

I have my residential hunting license for this season and I will pick up some deer tags near the end of the year when they are in season.

Must I have a black bear tag if I am accompanying them on the hunt, but not hunting one myself?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What license do I need if..

Quote Originally Posted by v3rd1ct View Post
    Question for you folks..

I have a friend who wants to go black bear hunting this spring, I have no interest in hunting a bear but I do enjoy getting out there in the nature and using my gun to target practice.

I have my residential hunting license for this season and I will pick up some deer tags near the end of the year when they are in season.

Must I have a black bear tag if I am accompanying them on the hunt, but not hunting one myself?

if you’re carrying a gun, on an active black bear hunt and nothing else is in season I’d recommend strongly of spending the money on a tag. Consider it a donation to conservation or a just in case you change your mind when the once in a lifetime bear shows itself after your friend already filled his tag.

Question for you folks..

Here is the definition of hunting from the synopsis:

Hunt & Hunting - includes shooting at,attracting, searching for, chasing, pursuing, following after or on the trail of, stalking, or lyingin wait for wildlife or attempting to do any ofthose things, whether or not the wildlife is thenor subsequently wounded, killed or captured a) with intention to capture the wildlife, or(b)while in possession of a firearm or otherweapon.

If you have a firearm but no bear tag, but you are "looking" for bears along with your hunting friend, then you might meet the definition of hunting in criteria outlined in "b". So, that firearm is for coyotes I would assume and you are not looking for bears.

Even without a firearm, if you are helping them look for bears, it might be possible to make the argument that you meet criteria for "a" because you are looking with the intent to "capture" (I think they mean kill?) the wildlife.

My opinion is that I wouldn't worry too much about these things unless you are set on taking caution to the extreme. My wife always tagged along before she even had a hunting license let alone tags. This year she doesn't have a bear tag or hunting license yet (will probably get that done in the next week or so though) but she still comes along with me. No gun though, just to be "safe" (even though it kinda makes it less safe in another way LOL)

RyoTHC makes a good point though. If you just order that $20 bear tag then you are worry free. If you order now you probably get it before the end of the week. If that isn't soon enough, I'd just take your friend out hunting and tag along... decide whether or not to bring a gun for coyotes or whatever is in season and doesn't require tags
    Last edited by caddisguy; 04-20-2020 at 06:44 PM.

Depending on Region you are in wolves are probably in season, inhabit most of the same territory, can be called in like bears, and don't require a tag so no, you don't legally require a tag. You can hunt wolves while he hunts bear. Just be sure you are the downhill side of the road, the one who is actively hunting bears should always be looking up.

That being said, you will probably spend more getting a drive thru breakfast and gas before you ever step foot out of the truck to walk a logging road. For the $20 you never know, you may find a big brute or a nice cinnamon you want to take home.
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

Those are all good answers, caved in and purchased the bear tag. Not worth having to always keep this in the back of my mind.

Those are all good answers, caved in and purchased the bear tag. Not worth having to always keep this in the back of my mind.
    Good decision, I did the same last year so I could feel safe when accompanying my Son on a bear hunt.

take a look on this one from BCCOS https://www.reddit.com/r/canada/comm...out_a_license/
    The OP does not have a licence, so the problem.
    BUT, honesty, if you have a licence, it would just be $20 bucks, why not? What if you see an awesome bear of a life time and make you regret a life time for just the stupidest 20 bucks you didn't wanna spare