Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly backup 45/70 or 12 gauge

Re: Grizzly backup 45/70 or 12 gauge

375 Ruger......
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    375 H&H the Real KING of the 375's ! .....
    HMMM ! Fixed it for you Silly ! RJ

great ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^post
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by snipersights View Post
    Looking for opinions on what gun is better for defence against a grizzly. I am planning a trip to the mainland in August for a moose hunt in an area that will have a lot of grizzlies. I am wondering what gun it is better if I get charged for self-defense. What has more stopping power and which gun is more likely to do what I need to do if the opportunity presents itself. I’m well aware that mace is a good deterrent and that nothing guarantees you’re going to survive just looking for ideas from people who actually know which is a better option. If anyone has any ballistic charts or actual ft/lb comparisons from personal knowledge I’d love to hear your advice. Thanks in advance stay safe SS.
    I never shot a bear but about 20 years ago switched to a 375 H&H from a 300 Win. mag when hunting in grizz country. Then about 15 years ago added a 45/70 GG & one for Eve (she used a 243 before)

Use the 45/70 when in bushy country & when field dressing/retrieving game. The 375 is used for more open country.

I use 420 gr+P & 540gr +P & Eve uses 320GR Leverevolution.
    The 540 gr is used for protection. The scope is removed.

Generally all the 3 rifles needed only one shot to kill a moose or deer.

I was so concerned about grizz attacks that we went & saw Randy Garrett, the bear expert, just south of Seattle to get the grizz killer ammo.
    Randy discussed at length with many examples of what it takes to stop a 1000 lbs.+ fearless predator that given a chance will attack you & slowly eat you while you're alive & screaming.

At camp I also have a Defender loaded with 3" Brenneke.
    The penetration from the 45/70 is much better due to their Sectional Density(SD)

And please don't count on the bear spray stopping a determined bear-it wont!

From Randy

FIRST CHOICE for defense against heavy grizzly
    Our 540-gr +P Hammerhead Ammo is the ideal choice for stopping heavy bears at close quarters or hunting them at short range. This Hammerhead bullet has a meplat (frontal flat) diameter of .360”, which is just one tenth of an inch less than bore diameter. With its tremendous weight to diameter ratio (sectional density) it provides end to end penetration on the heaviest of bears, with exit, and does tremendous damage per unit of penetration due to its extremely blunt front end. This load is carried exclusively by NOAA for protection against coastal grizzly attack. It is also carried by the National Marine Fisheries Service and the U.S. Geological Survey for protection from grizzly attack. For the specific task of stopping a grizzly charge, this ammo has no peer.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by BgBlkDg View Post
    This says it all and this poster has the bush experience to tell it like it is. I have had a few .45-70s but am a Mauser-type old geezer, so, tend to carry a .375 HandH, .338WM, or my favourite, 9.3x62, short bbl., heavy for caliber premium bullets, usually Nosler Pts.
    I always pictured you as a funky European caliber only guy...7x64, 8x68, some flavour of Ackley Improved

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    Never shot one ! so can't answer BUT i certainly Don't like a 2 SHOT gun for a bear attack ! RJ
    In a bear attack a 2 shot gun or 10 shot mostly likely won't play a huge part, even with a double barrel you would barely have time for a 2nd shot...a bolt action? You probably wouldn't even have time to work another round in...unless you had nerves of steel. I can see my arms turning to lead after the 1st shot...we all would react different than we would like to think. This strictly my opinion and having never been charged by a bear

Really? I don’t know how anyone would come to that conclusion. Everyone knows that when Dewey started working with Jesus back when he was a youngster (Jesus was young I mean, not Dewey) they both carried 338wm stuffed with Nosler’s.

(Grin)

Quote Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
    In a bear attack a 2 shot gun or 10 shot mostly likely won't play a huge part, even with a double barrel you would barely have time for a 2nd shot...a bolt action? You probably wouldn't even have time to work another round in...unless you had nerves of steel. I can see my arms turning to lead after the 1st shot...we all would react different than we would like to think. This strictly my opinion and having never been charged by a bear
    I would say it doesn't really matter what action as long as you are proficient with it

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post
    I never shot a bear but about 20 years ago switched to a 375 H&H from a 300 Win. mag when hunting in grizz country. Then about 15 years ago added a 45/70 GG & one for Eve (she used a 243 before)

Use the 45/70 when in bushy country & when field dressing/retrieving game. The 375 is used for more open country.

I use 420 gr+P & 540gr +P & Eve uses 320GR Leverevolution.
    The 540 gr is used for protection. The scope is removed.

Generally all the 3 rifles needed only one shot to kill a moose or deer.

I was so concerned about grizz attacks that we went & saw Randy Garrett, the bear expert, just south of Seattle to get the grizz killer ammo.
    Randy discussed at length with many examples of what it takes to stop a 1000 lbs.+ fearless predator that given a chance will attack you & slowly eat you while you're alive & screaming.

At camp I also have a Defender loaded with 3" Brenneke.
    The penetration from the 45/70 is much better due to their Sectional Density(SD)

And please don't count on the bear spray stopping a determined bear-it wont!

From Randy

FIRST CHOICE for defense against heavy grizzly
    Our 540-gr +P Hammerhead Ammo is the ideal choice for stopping heavy bears at close quarters or hunting them at short range. This Hammerhead bullet has a meplat (frontal flat) diameter of .360”, which is just one tenth of an inch less than bore diameter. With its tremendous weight to diameter ratio (sectional density) it provides end to end penetration on the heaviest of bears, with exit, and does tremendous damage per unit of penetration due to its extremely blunt front end. This load is carried exclusively by NOAA for protection against coastal grizzly attack. It is also carried by the National Marine Fisheries Service and the U.S. Geological Survey for protection from grizzly attack. For the specific task of stopping a grizzly charge, this ammo has no peer.
    Okay you have convinced me now to convince the wife. Thanks for the info

I just bring my wife, when she gets mad she can hunt bear with a stick.
    I feel more like i do now than i did before i got here