Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly backup 45/70 or 12 gauge

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Re: Grizzly backup 45/70 or 12 gauge

Quote Originally Posted by snipersights View Post
    Sooooo anybody has experience with the marlin 1895gbl? I have nothing better to do until I go back to work ( possibly next week) maybe a trip to Cabela’s is in order.
    I've fooled around with the 45/70, the 450 Marlin, and the 444 marlin, and I would stand up to a grizz with any of them, close up! I do like the Big Loop lever in the 45/70, and 450 marlin when shooting defense rounds or hot handloads. The reg loop in the GG smashes my dam fingers!! I was using 350gr A frames in my 450 marlin for hunting, but really liked the 400 Barnes Busters, which I tried out. They penetrated about 6" more than the a frames in the Douglas fir block tests I tried! They did not expand at all though, and I went with the a frames! moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

there is no wrong answer .. but if you go 12ga I would suggest the Rem 870 police as the least prone to malfunction when things get hairy..18"-20" barrel and ghost ring sights

Quote Originally Posted by Liptugger View Post
    I read somewhere that a guild stopped using the 45-70 as a camp defense gun in lou of a 308 remington semi auto, claiming much faster and easy on any shooter.
    I can get on Target Faster and Hit way more Accurately with the Ruger Scout then i could with my Marlin1895G or my BLR and i have 10 shots too NOW ! WAY less shoulder pain too ! jmo RJ

Would you say the 45/70 has more kick then a stoger coach gun? 6.5 Lb 20” barrel 3” slug 1.25 ounce
    Never shot one ! so can't answer BUT i certainly Don't like a 2 SHOT gun for a bear attack ! RJ

Oh no that gun is strictly my camp gun for Vancouver island black bear. Sits with me in my chair whilst cooking smokies, and having beers at night. Folds up into three pieces and fits in a backpack but it’s never going to grizzly country haha. I want at least 5 shots

I have used 450 gr “grizzly” loads and lever evolution 325gr in my 45-70. The hard cast just passes through. The 325 gr actually made it most of the way through but all the energy stayed in intended target and did much more damage.
    I will bring the 325 lever evolution with me next time I go out to bear country if I’m bringing a gun.

I-have one but it has not been fired yet ! Got a MagPul stock for it as well .Must get to the range Must get to the range Must get to the range ............
    Arctic Lake
    QUOTE=xcaribooer;2159531]there is no wrong answer .. but if you go 12ga I would suggest the Rem 870 police as the least prone to malfunction when things get hairy..18"-20" barrel and ghost ring sights[/QUOTE]
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    I have used 450 gr “grizzly” loads and lever evolution 325gr in my 45-70. The hard cast just passes through. The 325 gr actually made it most of the way through but all the energy stayed in intended target and did much more damage.
    I will bring the 325 lever evolution with me next time I go out to bear country if I’m bringing a gun.
    H,mmmmm so lever evolution 325 grain will break them bones eh. Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    I tend to look at that differently. The leverevolution stuff is designed for killing light game (deer) at extended ranges (200-ish yards). That hardcast load is for breaking bones and digging deep which is preferable in my books in a close range defensive situation. The LE stuff expands fast and dumps a lot of energy, and that would be great on a bear that is feeding and unaware of you. That energy dump will knock the wiggle out really fast. On a bear that knows you are there and you might not get the penetration required to persuade a bear that you aren’t worth messing with.

My SBL will put 3 LeverEvolutions into one big ragged hole at 100yards and smashes deer dead, but I found them to not penetrate as much as I would like. I shot a couple wild pigs with them for giggles. One hog was square facing me and took a round exactly centered in the forehead and traveled a little way down the spinal column. A 60 yard shot that had a 325gr bullet stopped 15” into a 175lb hog. I have gotten better penetration with a 62 tsx from a 223.

I want in a close up situation a bullet that will dig deep and bore straight. I don’t want something that expands fast and slows down faster. But thats just me.

H,mmmmm so lever evolution 325 grain will break them bones eh. Interesting
    SHIT Bullets BUT OK for lung shots on game while hunting BUT no good as a Shoulder Buster on a Big Bear ! The BETTER bullet by FAR is the Hornady 250 gr MONO FTX bullet -it way out penetrates the 325 FTX and it expands good too ! RJ