Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly backup 45/70 or 12 gauge

Grizzly backup 45/70 or 12 gauge

Looking for opinions on what gun is better for defence against a grizzly. I am planning a trip to the mainland in August for a moose hunt in an area that will have a lot of grizzlies. I am wondering what gun it is better if I get charged for self-defense. What has more stopping power and which gun is more likely to do what I need to do if the opportunity presents itself. I’m well aware that mace is a good deterrent and that nothing guarantees you’re going to survive just looking for ideas from people who actually know which is a better option. If anyone has any ballistic charts or actual ft/lb comparisons from personal knowledge I’d love to hear your advice. Thanks in advance stay safe SS.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Grizzly backup 45/70 or 12 gauge

45-70 or 450 Marley, hands down. Use a well constructed bullet 400+ gr. and it will out penetrate a 12 ga. x2. If you do decide on a scattergun dont go cheap your live is worth more than the difference in price. If you do go with the 12 use good quality slugs like Breneke and IF the crap hits the fan keep shooting till the gun is empty.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Remember not to shoot the bear in the foot.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

I would only choose a grenade, rocket launcher or land mine! In all seriousness choose the most grains!
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

whatever you are most comfortable when it hits the fan.

The 45/70 is by far the better choice. A good hardcast 400+ gr will drive a nice straight line through heavy bones. You will have better sights on a 45/70 as well. And unless you can source (and practice) with brenneke slugs you will be outfitting yourself with an inferior projectile. Most shotgun slugs are relatively soft and easily deformed, with has a higher tendency to be more easily upset inside the animal. That makes it less likely to travel in a straight line. Additionally, unless you are carrying a rifled barrel slug gun the slug will have minimal rotational stability. That also contributes to your bullet going where it is supposed to once it makes contact with meat.

There is a lot more to terminal effect than simply “this one is heavier than that one so this one is more betterer”.

I run a 45/70 with 430gr HSM bear loads as a camp/defense gun.. Cant go wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    The 45/70 is by far the better choice. A good hardcast 400+ gr will drive a nice straight line through heavy bones. You will have better sights on a 45/70 as well. And unless you can source (and practice) with brenneke slugs you will be outfitting yourself with an inferior projectile. Most shotgun slugs are relatively soft and easily deformed, with has a higher tendency to be more easily upset inside the animal. That makes it less likely to travel in a straight line. Additionally, unless you are carrying a rifled barrel slug gun the slug will have minimal rotational stability. That also contributes to your bullet going where it is supposed to once it makes contact with meat.

There is a lot more to terminal effect than simply “this one is heavier than that one so this one is more betterer”.

This says it all and this poster has the bush experience to tell it like it is. I have had a few .45-70s but am a Mauser-type old geezer, so, tend to carry a .375 HandH, .338WM, or my favourite, 9.3x62, short bbl., heavy for caliber premium bullets, usually Nosler Pts.

If you’re moose hunting you’re probably carrying a rifle more powerful than either of your proposed choices already.

Quote Originally Posted by bcsteve View Post
    If you’re moose hunting you’re probably carrying a rifle more powerful than either of your proposed choices already.
    That to me is honestly the best plan. What are you using for moose hunting? Do you have a 338 win or similar? It would be perfect for moose hunting and would make you feel confident should you encounter a Grizz charge. Heck, I'd use a 45-70 for moose hunting as well...not like moose are shot at long distance anyway.