Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A whole bunch of blacktail rubs

Re: A whole bunch of blacktail rubs

Buffalo - Do you have an idea of what was eating them? if so could you explain? I'm intrigued as to what and why they would be eating it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rieber View Post
    I agree that this seems too high up the tree to be Blacktail but maybe this one is really aggressive and really bending over the saplings as he shreds them. If you show me these rubs I will explain to you exactly what they are and how to ambush these buggers.

This also looks similar to the work of the recent hallucinogen harvesting. Inner bark from Alders is being scraped off and then fermented but instead of being distilled, the harvesters are boiling, straining, adding a bunch of sugar and then drinking to experience some most bizarre trips. Hardcore people would just chew the inner bark but that's too bitter and intense for most.

Are there camps in the close proximity?

Cool find by the way.

Do you write mystery and adventure as well as comedic fantasy fiction?

Were you fishing up the Squamish valley? If so, I'm also thinking they are elk rubs.

Quote Originally Posted by jamfarm View Post
    Were you fishing up the Squamish valley? If so, I'm also thinking they are elk rubs.
    yup, I was up Squam. From the feedback of everyone I guess its not the blacktails I was hoping for XD

Cat scratching?
    Blacktailaholic

Elk for sure
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by MontyLake View Post
    Do you write mystery and adventure as well as comedic fantasy fiction?
    Clearly you've never tried this perspective altering elixir.

In my opinion the pictures with the full peeled of their bark are rubs. The pictures with the single strips missing are teeth marks. Bark is a main part of their diet through the winter. I would say elk but there are also some moose scattered in that country and they love the bark

Quote Originally Posted by Rieber View Post
    Clearly you've never tried this perspective altering elixir.
    Look up any description of the medicinal uses for alder and you will find no reference or warnings to psychoactive or hallucinogenic properties of the plant.

http://medicinalherbinfo.org/000Herbs2016/1herbs/alder/

https://botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/a/alder019.html

-Medicinal Action and Uses---Tonic and astringent. A decoction of the bark is useful to bathe swellings and inflammations, especially of the throat, and has been known to cure ague.Peasants on the Alps are reported to be frequently cured of rheumatism by being covered with bags full of the heated leaves.Horses, cows, sheep and goats are said to eat it, but swine refuse it. Some state that it is bad for horses, as it turns their tongues black.

http://www.naturalmedicinalherbs.net...nosa=alder.php

Medicinal use of Alder:

The bark is alterative, astringent, cathartic, febrifuge and tonic. The fresh bark will cause vomiting, so use dried bark for all but emetic purposes. A decoction of the dried bark is used to bathe swellings and inflammations, especially of the mouth and throat. The powdered bark and the leaves have been used as an internal astringent and tonic, whilst the bark has also been used as an internal and external haemostatic against haemorrhage. The dried bark of young twigs are used, or the inner bark of branches 2 - 3 years old. It is harvested in the spring and dried for later use. Boiling the inner bark in vinegar produces a useful wash to treat lice and a range of skin problems such as scabies and scabs. The liquid can also be used as a toothwash. The leaves are astringent, galactogogue and vermifuge. They are used to help reduce breast engorgement in nursing mothers. A decoction of the leaves is used in folk remedies for treating cancer of the breast, duodenum, oesophagus, face, pylorus, pancreas, rectum, throat, tongue, and uterus. The leaves are harvested in the summer and used fresh.

http://www.ankn.uaf.edu/curriculum/B...reckalder.html
    Medicinal uses:
    The inner bark of alder is Tanaina (Anchorage-area Native) medicine; the Natives boil the bark and drink the tea to get rid of gas in the stomach and to lower a high fever. (Kari) The astringent and powerfully bitter bark infusion is used as a gargle for sore throat, to induce circulation, to check diarrhea, and for eye drops.
    Alder leaves are used to cure inflammation. Fresh leaves applied to bare feet are good for burning and aching; they are also used as a foot bath when brewed.Bark of the red alder (A. rubra) of the coastal regions and western North America was used by Indians to relieve indigestion and as a tonic and alterative.During the routine screening of southwestern Alaska plants for potential antitumor activity, the stem bark of A. oregona(same as A. rubra)showed significant antitumor activity. Lupeol and betulin were identified as the two constituents responsible for this activity. (Sheth et al.)Other uses:

Anybody hunt Toad River ?...Have you been into the Community pasture ...The aspen have had their bark stripped by their teeth...Elk eat this for winter food ..Any hunter of moose in the Cariboo will also see this in Aspen forests..Very common ...Smaller willows along the forest service roads get their bark stripped by porcupines ...Seen this Grizzly hunting Kinbasket lake ...Rubs are rubs and chewed on is chewed on ...Dennis