Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A whole bunch of blacktail rubs

A whole bunch of blacktail rubs

Hey guys,

Yesterday I decided to go out fishing for steelhead since it was a beautiful day and we're supposed to be staying away from other people. Obviously other people had the same idea. I pulled up my GPS and looked up a spot that would be far away from all people - so I could just cover some water and relax and enjoy the day. Unfortunately I didn't get any steelhead - I didn't even have the slightest of nibbles. But I guess as a trade off I ended up finding a few big patches of what I believe are blacktail rubs.

If found the first set of rubs on the way in. It was in a bunch of young alders about wrist thick - the alders weren't shredded up like some of the rubs I've seen - I'm going to try to upload pictures or the video I took. I only looked around for a few minutes but I would say I saw about 15 of these alders that had been rubbed in a very tight area.

On my way back, I walked close to the same path back, but not quite. I found another two groups of alders that had been rubbed up. The 3 groups of trees were about 100 metres away from each other (after consulting my GPS). The same sort of thing. Young alders scratched up. One had of these had some thicker alders that were rubbed - one was about 6 inches in diameter the other was about 8.

My question is - do you think this was one deer? or multiple? Should I be looking around the area for his sheds? Will he be back next year - is this an area of interest or is it a missed opportunity but something to learn from?

Thanks in advance

2. Site Sponsor

Re: A whole bunch of blacktail rubs

Go back at the end of October, early November would be my suggestion.

Heres a video of a few of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS0Of2sUNv4

Too high for black tail. I'm thinking elk. Any droppings?
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Really? I'd say the majority of the rubs wer 1.5- 4 ft off the ground the one or two a little higher. There was droppings around of both. but right near that area I only saw deer dropppings. I want to put a cam up just to see whats walkign around there. Hopefully it'll pick up a nice big bear

I agree that this seems too high up the tree to be Blacktail but maybe this one is really aggressive and really bending over the saplings as he shreds them. If you show me these rubs I will explain to you exactly what they are and how to ambush these buggers.

This also looks similar to the work of the recent hallucinogen harvesting. Inner bark from Alders is being scraped off and then fermented but instead of being distilled, the harvesters are boiling, straining, adding a bunch of sugar and then drinking to experience some most bizarre trips. Hardcore people would just chew the inner bark but that's too bitter and intense for most.

Are there camps in the close proximity?

Cool find by the way.

Last edited by Golddust; 03-22-2020 at 07:15 PM.

Elk rubs....

Quote Originally Posted by Rieber View Post
    I agree that this seems too high up the tree to be Blacktail but maybe this one is really aggressive and really bending over the saplings as he shreds them. If you show me these rubs I will explain to you exactly what they are and how to ambush these buggers.

This also looks similar to the work of the recent hallucinogen harvesting. Inner bark from Alders is being scraped off and then fermented but instead of being distilled, the harvesters are boiling, straining, adding a bunch of sugar and then drinking to experience some most bizarre trips. Hardcore people would just chew the inner bark but that's too bitter and intense for most.

Are there camps in the close proximity?

Cool find by the way.
    Wildlife, and not just enlightened humans, often purposefully seek out end enjoy Nature's trippy treats.

Those marks are not from antlers, they're from teeth.

Something was eating the bark.

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Buffalo View Post
    Wildlife, and not just enlightened humans, often purposefully seek out end enjoy Nature's trippy treats.

Those marks are not from antlers, they're from teeth.

Something was eating the bark.
    Samsquanch?

Well, there was that small herd of elk reported in the field by Annis Road and the Freeway. There have been elk seen on the Hope side of the Coquihalla so they are around the Valley but the absence of elk droppings but abundance of deer dropping is making me think you've found the home of the mythical Fraser Valley Whitetail that are increasing their numbers and sightings. Camera evidence would be cool.

Serious gouges - I sure would like to see the beast.