Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Cargo Renovation

Re: Cargo Renovation

Thanks boys great info!

Hey ...Thankyou .....Ubertuber ,Ramble On .for the consumption usage ...Interesting ...Dennis

Awesome info on heat guys thanks. My hunting partner and I are currently scouting for a cargo trailer to convert and our plan was to also do a canvas "add-a-room" off of the man door. Wondering if anyone else has done something similar? We were thinking of putting a wall tent style wood stove in the add-a-room and possibly sleep more people out there if needed. Our current dilemma is how we would fasten the "add-a-room" to the side of the trailer. Thoughts??

Check inside pics of the lodge for ideas.

Salty This is what I had prior to my renovation. There is usually just 2 of us most of the time. The main reason I changed was time of setup was usually 4 to 5 hours depending on weather. My was made from tarps not canvas. I made the frame out of 2x2 cedar, prefabed. Had a big wood stove which I’m going to sell. The frame was the whole length of trailer 15’ then 10’ wide. I would hold this down by ratchet straps from frame to trailer frame below. The roof tarp went over part of the roof of the trailer then attached ratchet straps to it tarp and connected to frame on other side of trailer. The wall and roof tarps were attached to wood frame with screws with washers on them. For the floor I put tarp down the put canvas tarp on top of that. The canvas was attached to the trailer to cover the space between ground and bottom of trailer. I did this with boat type canvas snaps attached to trailer and tarp. When finished it was solid as rock only shake when trailer did in the wind. I still have all the tarps and wood frame also. I’ll try and find a picture or two for you. Chily

https://imgur.com/a/n0uK8LU
    Only pics I could find Salty.

Thanks Chily! Looks and sounds like a solid setup. Setup time is definitely something we are trying to keep in mind. We thought of possibly sourcing out an awning and trying to enclose the sides but not sure how it would handle adverse weather and getting beat up down FSR's. Ideally we'd like something that will setup in an hour or so I think...

When you come time to sell that wood stove send me a PM.

Nice out fit Chilly, I guess thats what you have to do with ramp door on the trailer? I have a 12' cargo trailer with barn doors and the setup we use is set up straight out the back of the trailer. I got steel tent fittings from KMS Tools, and we used steel conduit from the lumberyard for the poles, made it a little wider and a little taller than the trailer so we could have the barn doors open while in side. Covered the frame with white tarp and held it down with rocks, you can always find rocks. We would over lap the trailer by a couple of ft. and bungee cord the tarp to the trailer, the top was bungee corded to the other end of the frame as well. I had a friend that did boat tops and had him put a boat top zipper on a white tarp (in the middle of it), bungee corded that tarp first to the frame, you have to have about 5 ft. of over lap over the frame, we used that as the door. With a wood stove, cook stove, old tarp for a floor with fake grass carpet, lawn chairs set up, it take about an hour with two guys that know how it goes together.

I have barn doors also. We went off side so we could lock it all up when gone for the day. It works well but I won’t even set up unless I’m there for at least a week. I wanted something I could use on weekends with minimal setup time. Big advantages also is getting rid of most of totes and all the stuff from set up that made it into a storage trailer making it a job to go for a weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillybilly View Post
    I have barn doors also. We went off side so we could lock it all up when gone for the day. It works well but I won’t even set up unless I’m there for at least a week. I wanted something I could use on weekends with minimal setup time. Big advantages also is getting rid of most of totes and all the stuff from set up that made it into a storage trailer making it a job to go for a weekend.
    With the set up I have the frame is high enough to close and lock the barn doors. If my out fit took 4-5 hrs. I wouldn't set it up for any less than week as well. Mine only takes about an hour to set up but I will admit it takes about double to knock it down and pack up.