Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cargo Renovation

Re: Cargo Renovation

Quote Originally Posted by Chillybilly View Post
    I have many more pics but I didn’t want to overload to much. Never had problems with fumes from quad, once arrived I just leave doors open for half hour and any smell is gone. All gas propane is usually in the back of pick up. I’ll have a look at the Espar models.
    Thanks Chilly
    My Espar is a D4 which burns 0.11 L/hr 3400btu’s on low up to 0.5 L/hr 13,650btu’s on high. Great heaters, but you’d be better off finding a used propane furnace from a wrecked camper/trailer for you’re use. Used furnace will be cheap in comparison and just propane needed for furnace/bbq.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Might I ask how you fastened in the foam insulation ...Dennis

Most of insulation I cut was a very tight fit to put into place. The frame on the walls had a lip on each side so you could jam it in. Some I had to glue on, mostly on the roof as the frame was a square tube type. As far as propane heat I’m trying to avoid as it causes to much condensation when cold plus it never really drys clothes out very well. I have Buddy Heater and electric which I can run off my generator. I did do a test on the Buddy, I ran a one lb cylinder through on low and one on high until they ran out. I did one with 2 roof vents open an inch or so and then with them almost closed. All done with digital low carbon monoxide detector. It never once registered a reading, remembering it only goes off at 30 and then reads any numbers. I would never sleep with it on but I believe it safe to have on while ur up.

Propane furnaces don’t cause condensation, only a lack of air exchange does. These units pull fresh air in from outside into the exchanger and then exhaust out. Condensation occurs when we sweat, breath, cook etc and only air exchange removes it from our units. The reason wood stoves work so well is they pull air directly from our units to aid combustion, but you need fresh air coming in to replace it.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Nice Job! did a 6 x 12 and wish was a 7 x 16, enough room for a single quad and bunk beds that fold up. Put a dickinson diesel heater and works great, but "pretty cramped" now and want a propane fridge but not enough room. Plus any bigger and the wife might want to tag along.

Bob is correct (as usual). The BTU output per gallon of diesel is significantly higher than propane. Look into it.
    It's much cheaper to run and the diesel heaters produce 0% moisture. Just dry, hot air, and lots of it.
    To sum up. Propane furnaces suck.

My first trailer had a propane Dickinson Newport P12000. Great little unit. Double pipe fresh air and exhaust through a double bell vent on the roof. Tiny 12v computer type fan to move the air. Easy on propane and almost nothing for power.

I wanted more heat for the late season so went to Chinese diesel heaters and a Cubic Mini Grizzly for backup. Haven't had to use it for backup but it is enjoyable to have a fire at times. Eco fan on top to move some air.

Thanks Chillibilly...Dennis

I have a cheap potbelly stove for our 20' trailer. Wood is usually easy to find and there is just something about sitting around a fire that makes it feel like a hunting trip. That, and as soon as we wake up we fire it up and heat our breakfast sandwiches on it.

Nice trailer conversion OP!
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Diesel hey? I am at a bit of a crossroads too now, I built my camper and I have a wood stove and it is great. I do need another backup heat source, propane works for me and is handy but maybe a small diesel heater is worth checking into, right now I have neither for backup.
    Do the diesel heater's emit any odor?