Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Cargo Renovation

Re: Cargo Renovation

Ramble how cold have you camped using these heaters? After all my research and reading what people on here say they look like the way to go. Thanks Chilly

Spent a week between -18 and -26. Might have dropped lower but I stopped looking. Lots of snow before hand so trailer gets covered in ice as the heat bleeds out. The heater will keep up but you want to have a back up source if it goes down. I haven't had an issue but I have backups so don't worry.

Thanks for the info Ramble , I do have back up, but’s that’s pretty cold to be in a trailer. That is mid to late November temps usually where I go, I might try late October first. Would you use winter diesel in them?

Quote Originally Posted by Chillybilly View Post
    Thanks for the info Ramble , I do have back up, but’s that’s pretty cold to be in a trailer. That is mid to late November temps usually where I go, I might try late October first. Would you use winter diesel in them?
    Use kerosene or diesel/kerosene mix as diesel can gel when super cold.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    Use kerosene or diesel/kerosene mix as diesel can gel when super cold.
    What i said earlier ! 50/50 No Gel and Lub for the pump too ! RJ

Seems the consensus is diesel with a splash of kero for the colder temps.

Chillybilly,
    If you are looking to buy one you can PM me if you like. There are tons of them for sale online. I have picked up 5 from one seller on Amazon and each kit was complete. One came with doubles. Each unit has worked flawlessly. They all have different versions of parts. The seller I went through has all of the updated parts included.

I agree with adding some kero into the diesel. The coldest we saw was -20 and the diesel was thickening up, so some kerosene would have been a good idea. Noted for next winter.

Look for one with a remote control. It's a nice feature.

Thanks Ramble I will shoot you email before I order one, most likely after things calm down. Why I asked about cold weather with diesel my buddy had trouble with a diesel heater in his wall tent when it dipped below -15 or so. He had summer diesel in it he had bought earlier.

Diesel has paraffin wax(for lubricant) and it starts to crystallize around the freezing point which will plug up your little heaters; hence the use of kerosene, which is the light refined diesel. Burns clean, next to know exhaust smell and great for cold weather.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    Diesel has paraffin wax(for lubricant) and it starts to crystallize around the freezing point which will plug up your little heaters; hence the use of kerosene, which is the light refined diesel. Burns clean, next to know exhaust smell and great for cold weather.
    I Agree - its more expensive BUT Better ! RJ