Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spring Deer numbers

Re: Spring Deer numbers

I see deer hit in the same area daily, last year in a 1km stretch I saw 3 hit in just one morning alone. Farmer has crops on both sides of the highway, Mule and Whitetail deer crossing the road constantly, its a slaughter.
    I know for a fact that more deer are killed in this area annually by vehicles than are killed by hunter's, my buddy picks up the carcasses for disposal.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    ^^^^thats sad, any way you could contact the ministry of highways and inquire about a possible wildlife overpass?
    You're kidding right? from Chase to Dallas? Might be expensive??

Animal overpasses are something that should be used in stratigic locations. What about the deer you guys are seeing do they appear to be healthy,lots of young deer that survived the winter? Saw a 2 point buck this morning

Stop putting salt on the roads and you’ll get less animals on roadways licking the roads and feeding on mineral rich grasses on the roadside during times when they’re mineral deficient.

Quote Originally Posted by lovemywinchester View Post
    You're kidding right? from Chase to Dallas? Might be expensive??
    Don't know the area, that's why I was asking with a ? mark....but it's got to be feasible in the odd location one would think....expensive yes, but it won't hurt to at least ask...

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    yup requeat speed enforcment ask rcmp via email with pics and cc bioligist.
    Maybe put salt blocks away from the highways and ease up on the salt dumped on the road. When you have flocks of sheep licking the highway, there are bound to be some collisions. Where you have game populations which historically feed on one side of the road and bed on the other, an overpass makes sense and would likely cost less than all the stupid advertising done by ICBC. Instead, ICBC, along with some other special interest groups, advocates for the reduction of deer populations. Here, in my part of the east Kootenays, they've been very successful in this. Where I should be seeing 30 or 40 deer, I'm seeing three or four; same with elk. GD

I regularly see a herd of 20+ muleys on my drive to work in the morning, outside of Merritt. This morning it was 50+, in 4 separate groups.