Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: A Kechika River Adventure

Cool A Kechika River Adventure

This will be the tale of our most recent hunt.
    It is going to be lengthy (as was the trip) and incorporate numerous pictures.
    It will eventually also have a few videos attached, after I get the handle of editing them.

Due to it's length, I'll be running this one up in installments.
    So, the tale will be broken down into like-themed components for ease of posting & reading.
    For those with a lack of patience for such things, I suggest coming back to see it in it's entirety tomorrow or the next...

The Plan

This was not our first run at the Kechika River system.
    In fact, we have been there numerous times, and taken Stone Sheep, Moose, Elk, Goats, Bears & a few Wolves out of there over the years.
    Through that time period, a handful of us have developed a real love of this area, and so it wasn't much of a consideration for me when the suggestion came up we should give it another go this fall...

The Kechika is an offshoot of the Liard River. It flowss into the Liard just above Skooks Landing (less than a hop skip and a jump from the Yukon Border).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kechika_River

https://mapcarta.com/24325756

Last year, we went in with a single jet rig, and way to damn early.
    The two weeks we were there, one spent the overly hot days suffering in shorts & T-shirts, and the nights sweltering with no sleeping bags required. No game was taken, as they simply refused top even move in the heat. Very few critters were even spotted.
    Thus it was decided that we would make the run a fair bit (3 weeks) later. Turned out to be a decent choice.

Many conversations were blistered across the phone lines between Alberta and BC with the growing plans.
    Two jet rigs this year. All the best equipment of course. Time on the ground centering on a 3 week possibility.
    Eventually I submitted a Hunter Host request for our Jet Jocks, which was to my surprise granted almost immediately.
    Surprised because all the other folks I knew that applied for the Host Permits had to wait literally months for approval, and in some cases they were denied.

Permits in hand, Licenses two, we anxiously awaited the upcoming departure date...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

2. Site Sponsor

Arrow Re: A Kechika River Adventure

The Run

Skooks Landing is a LONG way from Port Alberni.
    In fact, the route we take runs right around 2,350 kilometers (or 1,460 miles for those who prefer that unit of measure).
    It takes us two days on non-stop full boogie to drive there.
    We had a minor delay the day we expected to leave, but at 4:30 am the next morning we rolled out, and hit the first ferry across the moat.
    The drive through Vancouver was even more complicated than usual, as Highway 1 was down for construction.
    So, we had to meander through side streets for a couple hours before we managed to put the Big Smoke behind us.
    The truck purred, and we made excellent time after that, only stopping for fuel and the odd bite to eat.

At dark, my troubled eye doesn't allow me to drive any more.
    So my Partner ponied up, and grabbed the wheel for the continued run.
    Late into the black, we hit Chetwyn, and begged a room for a few hours off my Partner's sister in law.

Upon getting up (at 4:30 am again) I contacted our Alberta Buddies to determine where they were.
    They have a much shorter distance to travel, as they started off in Alberta Beach (just west of Edmonton).

Turned out they had run well into dark themselves, and were poised at Wonowon (Mile 101 of the Alaska Highway) waiting for the fuel pumps to be turned on. A viscous run ensued, and we managed to catch them still there.

We had arranged for the commercial fuel manager to meet us in Fort Nelson, so when we landed there the Jet Jocks turned in to collect many many barrels of dinosaur juice. My Partner & I scrambled through town, gathering up a few last minute supplies, before hooking back up with the Ladz.

Just prior to Toad River we encountered the largest game check I've ever wandered across.
    No less than nine CO's, a couple Greater Yellow-Legs, and a handful of FN representatives.
    Our Buddy's Alberta Tags and Jet Rigs were like Honey, and we had everyone's full attention immediately.
    Turned out I knew the senior officer that was onsite from a previous lifetime, and we chatted a bit about fellows we knew way back then.
    All Licenses etc were in proper shape, and they soon wished us well and sent us on our way.

Another long run, a quick bite at Toad River, and we made Skooks Landing just after dark.
    The place was JAMMED!
    As Elk Season was well underway, over 75 trucks & trailers filled the parking area beyond capacity, with many simply run into the bush.
    I have never ever seen that landing so full, and we openly wondered just how far up, and which systems that many hunters had poured into.

Not wanting to load and shove off in the dark, we simply bunked in the trucks for the night, anticipating an early rise the next...

Along our drive, we saw numerous deer, a few bears, several elk & sheep, and the usual multitudes of buffalo along the Alaska highway portion.
    Not wanting to even slow down for a minute, no photos were taken.
    The drive is an interesting one, as the road wanders through many varying kinds of ecosystems, ranging from full desert, rain forest, alpine and northern woods. Beautiful, and helps make the drive more than tolerable.

Here's a map of the run.

You can see we have to basically drive the full length of the Province of BC - a Province so big it easily eats the state of California:

http://www.bcrobyn.com/wp-content/up...forniaMap1.jpg
    Last edited by IronNoggin; 10-05-2018 at 03:31 PM.

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

As we neared our launch site, it was rather obvious that this was going to be a VERY different hunt compared to last year.
    Already the mountains were beginning to dress themselves in winter white, and it looked downright chilly up top:

Here's a shot of Green Death - my Buddies custom built 24.5 foot sled.
    It runs an uber enhanced 502 cubic inch engine that pours damn near 700 ponies through the pump.
    The eight degree hull takes some real getting used to, but allows us to fly in as little as 3/4 inch of water.
    Over the years, that ride has provided us with endless hours of enjoyment, and far too many successful hunts to even begin to recite.
    Those that might have wandered across a few tales of my past hunts will likely recognize her...

Guess he got to Know me

The next morning came early, and we scrambled to load the boats prior to descending upon the launch:

Then it was a short spin down to the water, and The Beasts were once again in their own environment:

This was to be the maiden voyage of this system for the second boat (and first run of it for the Pilot too).
    Due to the paint job, it was christened Flaming Death - a name that nearly came true for some of us...
    It sports a 10 degree hull with Teflon, and a high performance injected 350 cubic inch engine.
    At all of 18 feet, that much power is very very impressive!

And Huston, We Have LIFTOFF!
    Unleashed from their bunks, these Beasts really ROAR once they are allowed.
    Both literally jumped out of the water, like racehorses bounding for the finish line!
    Miles literally poured past at a blistering rate, and the scenery was drop dead gorgeous!

Guess he got to Know me

Guess he got to Know me

Of course no trip is complete without our Game Spotting Grizzly Protection Unit.
    He well recognized what we were up to, and set about trying to be the first to spot any game as we roared along:

Gradually the terrain began to transform into mountains along our way:

And then, an hour or so past the Turnagin River, and when all seemed to be going well, Green Death sputtered violently!!
    She's way to damn HOT snarled her Master.
    Off comes the lid, a fair bit of oil back sprayed in the engine compartment, and an intake manifold bolt laying on top, next to it's proper place.
    Whoa??
    A run down of the engine, bolt back in place, and fired back up. Less than 20 minutes, another bolt worked loose (intake again) and she was running HOT again. Fixed, checked oil (fine) antifreeze (fine) and back up running.
    Another 20 minutes and the rad cap on the heat exchanger let go with a gush!
    Anti-freeze Everywhere.
    What The Hell??

Cooled her down, made a few more adjustments, and ran up up again.
    This time a rad hose let go, even more antifreeze sprayed the entire engine compartment down!
    Now what?

A discussion, and we decided to re-route the coolant such that the engine would use river water (cold) and exhaust that after going through the block over the side.
    By now it was apparent that the engine was producing pressure into the coolant - a cracked head, or bad head gasket being the most likely culprits. And our Green Lady was obviously out of the running for our intended destination...
    A couple more miles, and we shut down for the night, and to debate what this meant for our hunt...

Guess he got to Know me

There was never even a passing thought of abandoning the hunt.
    We discussed possibilities into the night, and decided if Green Death could get up for another hour or so, we would be into an area we had explored many years ago. That area is adjacent to Terminus Mountain, and we well know it holds a decent amount of moose & elk in the lowlands, and sheep plus goats up top.

Decision made, we settled in for the night as the wolves serenaded us off to dreamland...

The next early morn, we set off again, albeit at a notably reduced pace...

Green Death initially held her own, and we could see Terminus approaching in the distance:

Before we could get there though, the big mill began to sputter and complain again. Thankfully we were rather close to the new destination, and we managed to nurse the boat into an island below the big mountain.

Terminus:

Given the status of the main rig, this Island was obviously going to be the base of our operations for the duration.
    Green Death's owner drug out the tool kit, and went right to work trying to determine actual issues rather than guessing.
    The rest of us gathered up supplies and carved a campsite out of the bush:

That big Teepee weighs mere ounces, folds down to nothing, has it's own stove, and is incredibly comfortable for four men!
    First time I was along when it was used, and I was mightily IMPRESSED!
    Camp was restructured several times, and became a comfortable home base.

Guess he got to Know me

Afterwards, the other boat's Pilot entertained our Camp Watcher by doing a little fishing.
    That dog is RIGHT into it, and certainly lets you know when there is a bite!!
    The catch (on a bare jig) was Dolly Vardens and Arctic Grayling - all of which were released.

Next came The Council of Changed Plans, and how we would hunt as a consequence...
    And once again, the wolves serenaded us as darkness draped the river valley...

Guess he got to Know me

Cool Re: A Kechika River Adventure

Next up will be The Hunts.

My Lady will be arriving in mere moments, and we have a few things to do (after being gone 3 weeks that should be little wonder!).

I will continue the tale as suggested in my first post, but that will likely have to be in the morning.

Cheers & Thanks for your Patience!

Nog

Guess he got to Know me

Re: A Kechika River Adventure

Great story telling!