Thread: Newbie heading out for hares, would love opinions.

Newbie heading out for hares, would love opinions.

Hey everyone,

I'm a completely new to hunting - got my PAL / CORE last summer, picked up a 22 and a 308 and then joined PCDHFC. I feel pretty confident with the .22 out to 50m with Minimag HPs. The 308 is a work in progress!

With COVID keeping us all inside I figured it was time to get myself, another newbie buddy of mine and his friend (who has been hunting for around 5 years) to go looking for some snowshoe hare and get some fresh air. I'm more than happy to just shoot the shit in the outdoors, so any bunnies would be the cherry on the cake.

We're going to head out next week, I'm looking at two spots, heading out for last 3 hours of light:

1. Just east of Coquihalla Summit / Britton Creek there seem to be a few roads that look promising.
    2. Just into MU8-4 near Eastgate.

I've checked the forums here, the synopsis and iHunter and all looks ok to me - but hey I'm new, so I'm expecting to get everything wrong, hence I thought I'd ask the experts.

My questions are:

A. Any preference to either of these if you're not in a 4x4? Still sorting out transport options so it'd be good to know if one or both are out if we only have 2 wheel drive. Happy to pound out a few kms on snowshoes.
    B. Do either of these sound like dumb ideas? Newbie = no FSR radio.
    C. Any local knowledge you want to share? Obviously be as cryptic as you want - not looking for anyone to give up a top spot to a rando.

We're coming from Vancouver so it's a fair drive, but worth it for the scenery and the fresh air so if there's even a 1% chance of spotting an eye that darts into a hole I'm game.

Thanks everyone!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Newbie heading out for hares, would love opinions.

It's good your bringing the snowshoes, your going to want to not venture far from the highway with your vehicle, as the snow levels will still be high...look for tracks, sign, and they bolt fast this time of year, look lots..

ibwould think northern 2-6 is closer and will hold more...in addition hare are at a low end of cycle so pickins thin.. a fraser valley speacial area permit and a shotgun and or bow along the fraser in 2-4 will peobably generate alot of action..and you could bring a fly rod and watch for cutthroat boils with the pending fry hatch at the same time.

coq summit is a great choice. Ive shot hares up there. its a great place and not too far.
    Get it on the ground, that's when the work starts

yes but summit will be deep snow and ice right now

What he said - I have seen early morning (first light) and late evening hares on the local FSR. Not a lot but regular, and along the frasier is pretty much a given to see them these days. I saw quite a few fishing these past few weeks. Mind you, I saw one or two at a time, not like huge flocks and you have to be pretty good with a 22... The shotgun approach is more likely to get results....

Personally, the early/late fishing/hunting combo sounds pretty sweet these days....

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    ibwould think northern 2-6 is closer and will hold more...in addition hare are at a low end of cycle so pickins thin.. a fraser valley speacial area permit and a shotgun and or bow along the fraser in 2-4 will peobably generate alot of action..and you could bring a fly rod and watch for cutthroat boils with the pending fry hatch at the same time.

Britton Creek area will likely be difficult travel still, pretty high, lots of snow.

where do you see a hare season in MU 2-4? Only thing I see open right now are: cougar, coyote, skunk & raccoon. MU 2-6 does have a season on hare open right now, so maybe that would be a better region.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacanuck View Post
    where do you see a hare season in MU 2-4?
    We have cottontails, but Ive never seen a hare in 2-4, and yes its not in the regs either.
    went up to the summit today, they have it like a big parking lot for the skidoo people. said we cant get much farther past the lakes and too many snowmobile people rippin around everywhere.
    We headed farther down the road and to the north side. hiked in and saw lots of sign.
    Last edited by hoochie; 03-21-2020 at 04:03 PM.
    Get it on the ground, that's when the work starts

Thanks everyone for all the info - I'll chat this through with the guys and I'll leave a post-trip update here too.