Thread: Introduction: 6 Days to hunt in 7-50 // 7-51 // 7-52

Introduction: 6 Days to hunt in 7-50 // 7-51 // 7-52

Hello:

Hope all is well, I am new to this forum, but the not the sport, or Beautiful British Columbia.

I looking to book a 6 day fly in hunt in early to mid September in the 750-751-752 area. I am likely to use Urs with BC Resident Hunter out of Muncho Lake and am trying to decide which alpine lake to fly into (Denetiah, Dall, Moodie, Tuchodi, Boreal, Birches etc).

We are specifically looking to target Moose and Goat. I would love to chase sheep, but I simply think that 6 days will be too short to drive a successful outcome.

I am not looking for anything too specific, simply looking to hear which lakes would be a good fit for the hunt we are describing. (Based on prior reading i don't know if we can go too far wrong). We don't need to target both goat and moose, but would rather make a "game time" decision based on weather and other variables. On a side note, I have never hunted elk or caribou and would be curious to hear whether there is likely be any habitat crossover, these are not the goal.

I will be sure to follow up with a thorough trip report and pictures (hopefully with some game). Appreciate the thoughts.

Steve

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Introduction: 6 Days to hunt in 7-50 // 7-51 // 7-52

Can't speak to the lakes, though they should all be good access points for what you are after. But I do have some unsolicited advise about your plans.

1. Urs is notorious for stacking hunters on top of each other in lakes, and IMO his prices are wild. Shop around and see who else is out there. Don't be afraid to call outfitters - particularly if they are seeing cancellations of international hunters this summer/fall due to COVID shenanigans.

2. Extend your trip a little longer if you have the option. Unless you know the area well, 6 days of hunting isn't very much time to see success. For what it's worth, it is often a 1.5 day process to get a moose back to camp with a string of horses to pack it. If we kill close to camp, it could be done in a day, but if you are planning to backpack a moose consider that a mature bull should yield approx 500lbs of boned out meat + head/antlers. We generally run guided moose/goat combo's as 12 day hunts, and for the time, effort, and money involved in flying in, you'd hate to come home empty due to a short time line.

3. Caribou will share general habitat with moose and goats, though goats will be far above in the steep and dirty. Caribou pop's in a lot of that country are spotty, with a few general (and large) areas that will always hold them. Late september is usually more productive for bou from my experience.

Just checking in to see of anyone has any other insight. Thanks!

I can tell you Tuchodi will be busy. A steady stream of boats coming up the river. It’s steep country and will take you time to get anywhere on foot. Having said that there is game including all of the species you mention. Just not for the lazy.

Thanks again for the responses.

lol i have seen elk,caribou,and goats all at the same time before..

Guys, really appreciate the thoughtful comments. Trip Book September 7-13 on Tuchodi. Will be using Jason with Riverjet Adventures.

Riverjet is awesome! Have a blast. Prepare for grizz.

Weather is your enemy on a 6 day hunt. If the weather is okay you should make out. But if you get a couple days of real bad weather you are really limited. From my experience I found 10 days about optimum, and 7 days to short. And with the sat. phone was always able to get out earlier if we had meat and the weather was warm. I look back at the trips we took before sat. phones and think about all the things that could have gone wrong and cringe. But we were a hell of a lot younger then, strong as apes and about half as smart. (older now and 3/4's as smart)

Hunted in that area in the late 1960 and 1970s. Always flew in for 2 week hunts. First trip or two were mainly to get used to what the maps told us & get a real good lay of the land for camp out trips of 3-4 days. Always saw lots of game animals and took our share. But I think from what I read now pickings may be less. Always picked up our meat animals on the way home usually in the Pink Mtn area which is more limited now with regulation changes. Good luck to you.