Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: August sheep hunt gear questions

Re: August sheep hunt gear questions

I never waisted anything to tell you the truth, Im out there for the experience and when I did harvest my sheep it was more special to me then having someone tell me what to wear, and where to go. I have even seen google maps on this site with trials drawn where to go. I live up north and have seen the damage that this has caused. and if you are up here sheep hunting you probbaly have seen the amount of people that cram into the drainages looking at trying to get a sheep that 10 others are also trying for. The Majority of old timers wouldn't give you the time of day on there spots or what to take. But like I said, that's my opinion. Sheep hunters were always a cut above the rest of the hunters in my opinion. now its not that much different from a moose hunter except walking up a mountain, so I guess I see myself as old school and some of you see me as a dick, that's alright to each their own

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    Ok. Evidently you aren’t picking up what I am laying down. Try this again.

So my first sheep hunt was spurred by a trip to Liard Hotsprings with my GF on the August long weekends over a decade ago. Coming back we stopped to get a cinnamon bun at the galactic center of the universe. And in the back of a pickup there was a set of horns poking out of a backpack. I nattered at her about sheep hunting and backpacking and the mountains all the way back.
    Got back and talked to my hunting partner about it as well and we started making plans for the following year that week. GF offered to buy a smaller backpacking tent for my birthday if that was something I wanted to do.

Came back to work after the weekend and my hunting partner said “how much holiday time do you have? What are you doing next week? Want to hunt sheep?!?!?!”
    Had the time, and couldn’t come up with a reason to not go, so we bought some mountain house and I borrowed some gear and we eye****ed some google earth and 4 days later we headed out for 7 days of sheep hunting.

That first hunt I used my Coleman Peak1 backpack to carry an MEC -20*C down bag, my Remington 700 XCR 300 Ultra, and a bushnell $150 spotting scope. I borrowed a heavy thermarest and a whisper light, and wore some columbia zip off pants and an UA shirt and the same scarpa boots I wore for work. And some of the same pisspoor rain gear I work to work every day. The only reasonably acceptable gear I owned for sheep hunting was a pair of Zeiss 10x42 Binoculars, and that new MSR Hubba Hubba.

And there was rain. And bugs. And hot. And we saw sheep and caribou and elk and moose and grizzlies. And we loved every minute of it.

As soon as I got back I started upgrading and changing out the gear that didn’t work for me. First thing I did was start looking at glass, and researching and looking. And then bought a Swarovski spotter (I just couldn’t justify the $4500 for a Leica). Over the years I have bought and sold top shelf packs, and have tried pretty much everything available, or seen it in hard use first hand. I have spent weeks and months researching and buying and selling gear. The only things I still use from the first couple of sheep seasons are my Jetboil Sol (no longer available), my Sea to Summit long spoon, and the swarovski spotter and tripod.

It has been a long and expensive journey getting to this point, and I still change gear as changes to technology occurs and I find something lighter/stronger/better and more reliable, but that is purely for comfort.

HOWEVER, the number one thing that will make you successful as a sheep hunter (or a hunter period), is being ok with being uncomfortable. Don’t have the best glass? You are going to have to walk more. Don’t have the best tent? You are going to be cold and wet. Don’t have the toughest lightest pack? Your back is going to hurt.
    Accept that, and do the best you can with what you have and you will be successful.

And you will either be a sheep hunter or you won’t. I’m a sheep hunter. It’s how I identify as a hunter. Right from that very first trip, relatively late in life,I was hooked. And you will be too, or you won’t. Some guys go on a sheep trip and come back and say “yeah that was ok. We saw some ewes. Was different.” And they will maybe go again some time, or maybe they won’t. Those guys have hunted sheep, but they aren’t Sheep Hunters.

When you spend your months daydreaming about sheep hunting, planning for sheep hunting, looking at gear that will let you get a little farther, a little quicker, in the hopes that you might see sheep, then you are a Sheep Hunter, and the gear questions will be more pointed, more researched, and the responses will be of more value to you. Or maybe you won’t want to be a sheep hunter after you try it.
    This^^^!!!!
    “Some guys sheep hunt, other guys hunt sheep “
    Its not about dipping your toe in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by coldbuc69 View Post
    I never waisted anything to tell you the truth, Im out there for the experience and when I did harvest my sheep it was more special to me then having someone tell me what to wear, and where to go. I have even seen google maps on this site with trials drawn where to go. I live up north and have seen the damage that this has caused. and if you are up here sheep hunting you probbaly have seen the amount of people that cram into the drainages looking at trying to get a sheep that 10 others are also trying for. The Majority of old timers wouldn't give you the time of day on there spots or what to take. But like I said, that's my opinion. Sheep hunters were always a cut above the rest of the hunters in my opinion. now its not that much different from a moose hunter except walking up a mountain, so I guess I see myself as old school and some of you see me as a dick, that's alright to each their own
    No harm in passing information along to those younger. Isn't that what experience is all about? Sure people learn by trial and error but people have also learned from others for generations...I agree that no one should expect an x on a map but were taking about food here for fu'ks sakes. Common man give your head a shake. I guess theres the likes of you on this site and then there's guys like Srupp who just enjoys sharing what he has learned and passing some information along. I dont see you as old school but definitely as a dick..

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    Are they water resistant-waterproof ?? RJ
    resistant- yes. but not as comfortable as Wrangler Performance series pants at about the same price
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

the Internet has made it so easy to become a hunter nowadays. it took me years of packing to learn what to bring and what not to bring, but I kepted going, when I did get a sheep, all the hard work and trial and error paid off. now we have fourms that people ask what to bring, what to eat, where to go. I personally do not give advise on anything, call me old school or a dick, but that's what it takes to be a sheep hunter. I've packed the wrong food, starved, had the runs, ran out of water, packed a case of beer one time, froze to death, had blisters so bad I couldn't walk for two days and had a hell of a time walking out, Ran into a grizzly bear on a kill. just to name a few of my unsuccessful trips. I never asked anyone where to go and if I did it would have been sent to zipper lip creek.
    Some great insight here. A case of beer was on my list but now that you've brought it up, I will re-think my decision. Perhaps that was the cause of your blisters.....? I will definitely bring some Leukotape to save me from not being able to walk for 2 days. You also mention that you had the runs, that must have been horrible, I will pack an Imodium or two.

Coldbuc69, I'm grateful of your knowledge, wisdom and the ability to share advice and help others. Thank-you.

PS, in case you're not familiar, Leukotape is a rayon-based tape with high tensile strength. Its zinc oxide adhesive ensures that once wrapped it will remain in place for a VERY long time. You can buy on Amazon.ca for around $20 for 15 yards, will totally help with any blisters you might have in the future, , your welcome.

Huntcoop
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Quote Originally Posted by huntcoop View Post
    Some great insight here. A case of beer was on my list but now that you've brought it up, I will re-think my decision. Perhaps that was the cause of your blisters.....? I will definitely bring some Leukotape to save me from not being able to walk for 2 days. You also mention that you had the runs, that must have been horrible, I will pack an Imodium or two.

Coldbuc69, I'm grateful of your knowledge, wisdom and the ability to share advice and help others. Thank-you.

PS, in case you're not familiar, Leukotape is a rayon-based tape with high tensile strength. Its zinc oxide adhesive ensures that once wrapped it will remain in place for a VERY long time. You can buy on Amazon.ca for around $20 for 15 yards, will totally help with any blisters you might have in the future, , your welcome.

Huntcoop
    After some bad experiences and wise advice from more seasoned guys, I opted out of leuko tape or anything like that as it just rips off everything thats been healing when you take it off.

I use non stick gauze now. Cover the blister/wound so that when I take it off, it isn't like starting the healing process all over again and ripping off more skin.
    Last edited by porthunter; 03-26-2020 at 10:05 AM.
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

Quote Originally Posted by huntcoop View Post

And I like Leukotape to prevent blisters, but have some Compeed incase I get blisters. I'd never heard of the stuff, but my wife blistered her feet incredibly bad in a couple hours on a ski tour in Europe, day 1 of 7 days. She sent me pics and I told her she should probably turn back. But the hut operator gave her some Compeed and she completed the tour without any further blisters or pain. Amazing stuff.

Huntcoop
    One tip with meds. Since we're sharing information and all. Take enough to get you out of the backcountry. 1 or 2 is often just a tease and is there to appease your mind. If you need imodium, pain killers, anti histamines, etc. You'll want enough to get you out.
    Last edited by tdot; 03-26-2020 at 09:04 AM.

The runs were bad, but learned my lesson with Mountain House Lasagna with Meat sauce Lol, I've down sized from a case of beer to a micky of sourpuss as well. as far as blisters, I've got into the routine of breaking my feet in before hunting season in my training which has helped put a lot, good fitting boots and socks, I'm now wearing compression socks, a bitch to put on but the benefits are unreal

Originally Posted by KodiakHntr
    Ok. Evidently you aren’t picking up what I am laying down. Try this again.

So my first sheep hunt was spurred by a trip to Liard Hotsprings with my GF on the August long weekends over a decade ago. Coming back we stopped to get a cinnamon bun at the galactic center of the universe. And in the back of a pickup there was a set of horns poking out of a backpack. I nattered at her about sheep hunting and backpacking and the mountains all the way back.
    Got back and talked to my hunting partner about it as well and we started making plans for the following year that week. GF offered to buy a smaller backpacking tent for my birthday if that was something I wanted to do.

Came back to work after the weekend and my hunting partner said “how much holiday time do you have? What are you doing next week? Want to hunt sheep?!?!?!”
    Had the time, and couldn’t come up with a reason to not go, so we bought some mountain house and I borrowed some gear and we eye****ed some google earth and 4 days later we headed out for 7 days of sheep hunting.

That first hunt I used my Coleman Peak1 backpack to carry an MEC -20*C down bag, my Remington 700 XCR 300 Ultra, and a bushnell $150 spotting scope. I borrowed a heavy thermarest and a whisper light, and wore some columbia zip off pants and an UA shirt and the same scarpa boots I wore for work. And some of the same pisspoor rain gear I work to work every day. The only reasonably acceptable gear I owned for sheep hunting was a pair of Zeiss 10x42 Binoculars, and that new MSR Hubba Hubba.

And there was rain. And bugs. And hot. And we saw sheep and caribou and elk and moose and grizzlies. And we loved every minute of it.

As soon as I got back I started upgrading and changing out the gear that didn’t work for me. First thing I did was start looking at glass, and researching and looking. And then bought a Swarovski spotter (I just couldn’t justify the $4500 for a Leica). Over the years I have bought and sold top shelf packs, and have tried pretty much everything available, or seen it in hard use first hand. I have spent weeks and months researching and buying and selling gear. The only things I still use from the first couple of sheep seasons are my Jetboil Sol (no longer available), my Sea to Summit long spoon, and the swarovski spotter and tripod.

It has been a long and expensive journey getting to this point, and I still change gear as changes to technology occurs and I find something lighter/stronger/better and more reliable, but that is purely for comfort.

HOWEVER, the number one thing that will make you successful as a sheep hunter (or a hunter period), is being ok with being uncomfortable. Don’t have the best glass? You are going to have to walk more. Don’t have the best tent? You are going to be cold and wet. Don’t have the toughest lightest pack? Your back is going to hurt.
    Accept that, and do the best you can with what you have and you will be successful.

And you will either be a sheep hunter or you won’t. I’m a sheep hunter. It’s how I identify as a hunter. Right from that very first trip, relatively late in life,I was hooked. And you will be too, or you won’t. Some guys go on a sheep trip and come back and say “yeah that was ok. We saw some ewes. Was different.” And they will maybe go again some time, or maybe they won’t. Those guys have hunted sheep, but they aren’t Sheep Hunters.

When you spend your months daydreaming about sheep hunting, planning for sheep hunting, looking at gear that will let you get a little farther, a little quicker, in the hopes that you might see sheep, then you are a Sheep Hunter, and the gear questions will be more pointed, more researched, and the responses will be of more value to you. Or maybe you won’t want to be a sheep hunter after you try it.

This^^^!!!!
    “Some guys sheep hunt, other guys hunt sheep “
    Its not about dipping your toe in the water.

And then there's the guys that forgo that easy hunt and are a step above looking for goats
    'The bible says the end is coming soon, I hope I get my cabin built by then'
    Richard ‘Dick’ Proenekke

The runs were bad, but learned my lesson with Mountain House Lasagna with Meat sauce Lol, I've down sized from a case of beer to a micky of sourpuss as well. as far as blisters, I've got into the routine of breaking my feet in before hunting season in my training which has helped put a lot, good fitting boots and socks, I'm now wearing compression socks, a bitch to put on but the benefits are unreal
    There YOU go - see its not all that Hard to share knowledge - your not a Dick - Just a Bit Shy ! RJ