Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: August sheep hunt gear questions

Re: August sheep hunt gear questions

Quote Originally Posted by huntcoop View Post
    Sitka Ascent pants or would Timberlines be better? What degree sleeping bag would you take? Would Salomon Quest 4D 3 GTX boots get shredded? or would you wear Lowa Tibet’s?

Thanks in advance folks....for now...
    Pants: Timberlines are pretty hot for sheep opener in the North unless it's real cold. I've got 140+ days in a few pairs of them from 30º to -20º and I think they really do well when it's 5º and colder. I tend to run on the hotter side, but you'll be sweating like a mofo in them if its over 15º out. Lighter pants and merino long underwear go a long way. Kuiu makes some great lightweight merino & synthetic zip off long johns that do not require you to take your pants and boots off - not a game changer but sure is nice.

Sleeping bag: If you don't already have a decent sleeping bag, a single -9 bag will cover most of your backpack hunting needs. Down is superlight and packable, higher warmth to weight ratio, and today's hydrophobic down bags are pretty damn good. Synthetic is far more versatile, and way less expensive, but bulkier and heavier. Your choice on whether you value ultralight or versatility. IMO going full ultralight isn't a smart choice. Durability will always be less, and versatility in shit-show weather isn't great either. I sometimes run a 0º down bag while sheep hunting in august, however, im usually only a days hike from horses and a wall tent with a -18º synthetic bag in it.

Boots: Assuming they fit your feet well and don't give you blisters, the Lowa Tibet will be a better choice for sheep hunting. Far more durable, and the torsional rigidity (side to side stiffness of the shank/sole) will save your ankles while side-hilling and climbing. If they don't fit well, look for a similar style of boot that does. Fit is paramount when it comes to boots.

Finally: If you are buying gear -- boots, raingear, clothing layers, down, gloves etc -- Don't get suckered into thinking you need to be wearing Kuiu, Sitka, First Lite etc to be a successful hunter. Quality boots, raingear, pack, and optics are more important than what color/pattern you wear. I've been down both the Kuiu and Sitka rabbit holes, both companies make some great products, however I have found that most mountaineering brands build equal or better quality products at a far more attractive price. Packs may be the exception to this, most hiking packs aren't built to carry 100lb+ loads. Outdoor Research is a good option if you are of the "I won't buy from X because they don't support hunting" mindset.

Not sure about the Sitka pants but I’ve run the kuiu tiburons and they were great and switched over to the kuiu katana pants, both very light. I use good rain gear for an outer layer of its windy and I’m cold sitting around. A puffy jacket is very nice to pack as well, I have a cheap one from Costco I’ve used for many years and has been great. Stick with the Lowas! As for sleeping bag I’ve always ran a light synthetic but switched over to a down quilt, this year will be the test of that.
    Shoot em' Whack em' Stack em'

Make sure you bring a good sleeping pad, that’s a difference maker for a good sleep. Nothing worse than having to wake up every 2 hours and re-inflate the pad. I switched over to exped pads and have to say they are great. I run a lightweight one for early hunts and an insulated one for late hunts.

For all you experts I’d like to ask a few questions... thinking about a Northern BC August sheep hunt in 2021...

Sitka Ascent pants or would Timberlines be better? What degree sleeping bag would you take?Would Salomon Quest 4D 3 GTX boots get shredded? or would you wear Lowa Tibet’s?

Thanks in advance folks....for now...
    I’m no expert but I spend 25 bucks on the convertible pants at Costco and never look back

Not sure why the OP wants to wait till 2021, the 2020 season hasn’t happened yet.

Your first trip isn’t really likely to be that heavy of a walk out, so grab your pack and glass and rifle and some clothes and some freeze dried (and a water filter...) and head up the highway. Pick a valley that doesn’t have tooooo many vehicles parked on it and start walking.

The best way to learn what works for you is by using gear that doesn’t.....(grin)

I’d suggest checking out Fjallraven. Their Keb pant (heavier) or the Abisko Lite (lighter) are absolutely phenomenal pants. Basically all I’ve worn hunting or not for the last 5 years. For perspective I have a few pairs but my favourite pair has been on 3 sheep hunts, 4 moose hunts, 3 caribou hunts and numerous day trips and I still wear them daily, bulletproof to say the least. They also have side zippers for venting and a built in boot hook and cuff cinch.

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    Not sure why the OP wants to wait till 2021, the 2020 season hasn’t happened yet.

Your first trip isn’t really likely to be that heavy of a walk out, so grab your pack and glass and rifle and some clothes and some freeze dried (and a water filter...) and head up the highway. Pick a valley that doesn’t have tooooo many vehicles parked on it and start walking.

The best way to learn what works for you is by using gear that doesn’t.....(grin)
    To be fair... I'm looking Dall Sheep 2021... no problems looking to the future

I wear fjallraven Bartlett pro I think is the name of the style I have and they have been excellent

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post

Thanks for the reality check, any insight on sleeping bags or other relevant gear...
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Definitely opener, my bag is a -9C bag with a comfort rating of -2.2C, down and just under 2lbs...
    Thanks for the reality check, any insight on sleeping bags or other relevant gear...

Sure. Use the one you own. It’ll be fine.