Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: August sheep hunt gear questions

Hybrid View

August sheep hunt gear questions

For all you experts I’d like to ask a few questions... thinking about a Northern BC August sheep hunt in 2021...

Sitka Ascent pants or would Timberlines be better? What degree sleeping bag would you take?Would Salomon Quest 4D 3 GTX boots get shredded? or would you wear Lowa Tibet’s?

Thanks in advance folks....for now...
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

2. Site Sponsor

Re: August sheep hunt gear questions

I’ve worn the ascent, timberline, mountain, and kuiu alpine pants.
    you get such a mix of weather, I’ve had +25c where the ascents are primo. Then cold and windy or rainy where the timberlines are most ideal. But my favorite are the mountain paint or kuiu alpine. Not too hot to hike in but heavy enough for cooler days. All of those pants used in combination with long johns and rain paints cover all your weather conditions.
    i would wear the alpine or mountain in aug and timberlines from sept on

For opener, I take merino long johns and Kuiu Tiberon pants, a zero degree Western Mountaineering down bag and I’d definitely leave the Saloman’s at home and take the Lowa’s. The last 3 seasons I’ve had to wear my down jacket and long johns in my sleeping bag at night a handful of times when the temps dipped. Personally, there is no way I’d venture out with Salomon boots on a back pack hunt. Someone else may say different but the lack of ankle support and synthetic materials are a recipe for disaster. Just my $0.02. Good luck!

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Honestly you get such a variation in weather that the pants are not as important as a great tent, Rain, wind, hot sunny weather, pea soup fog, in 14 days two years ago we had it all, winds to 40-50 mph, fog, rained so hard we started to build and Ark, fog for 36hrs straight, 33 degree smoking hot weather, I used Columbia zip off pants, perfect weight but not water resistant in the least, a light weight water resistant/proof pant would be perfect.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

And definitely the beefier boots. I don't think those Quest's will be fun to wear side-hilling with any sort of weight on your back.
    Lots of podcasts and "western"hunting forums etc. folks recommend them but remember in the states they have maintained trails for almost all their main access - not really the case for BC

For the sleeping bag, as long as you have long johns and a puff you should be fine with a bit lighter bag. I have First Lite Scout30 (-1C) zero issues. Later in Sept I would bring my warmer bag but August is still summer....just with snow sometimes
    Last edited by never.truly.lost; 03-16-2020 at 05:15 AM.

I wore the Timberlines last year - they were way too warm the first day I was walking but after that the rain/cooler weather came in and they worked great. This year I am just going to bring a pair of lightweight shorts and hike with those if it gets hot again but bring the Timberlines as my pant. I really like the cordura seat and knees for when it is damp but not raining out - camp and glassing.

I was there last year in August and snowed a fair bit. I would go with the heavier boots. Make sure you tent is large enough that you would go crazy if you have to stay in it for 24 hours.

Get a streaming service on your phone that allows you to download shows/movies to kill the tent time.

I've ran mountain pants since 2014 in all sorts of conditions. They are a little warm on hot days, but I just hiked in my underwear until I started bringing a pair of shorts with me. On cooler/cold days I'd just team the mountain pants up with a base layer. Personally I go either sitka lightweight core or stanfields, sometimes some fleece. Depending on what's what.

I personally haven't run timberlines but my buddy did. He seems to like them but hasn't really used anything else to compare them to.

Great stuff guys, I kinda thought the Lowa's would be best..... keep the insight coming.....
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Lowas and Timberline pants work amazing for me. I run synthetic gear now including base layer. Wear them wet in the sleeping bag and wake up dry. Different things for different people. Crazy variations in weather so prepare accordingly