Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: August sheep hunt gear questions

Re: August sheep hunt gear questions

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    There YOU go - see its not all that Hard to share knowledge - your not a Dick - Just a Bit Shy ! RJ
    Soooo are you saying he’s a grower, and not a show-er?

I'll second the compression socks. They are fantastic. Limits the swelling in my feet, which helps limit blisters. I still havent put them on in a tent, don't know that it'd be possible in a small single man tent, but a 2 person should be doable.

I also carry Compeed with me. Incredible stuff, apply to a blister and itll fall off in 12-14 days. By then the blister will be fully healed. My wife found the stuff on the Haute Route in the Alps, something happened on the flight to her well broken in boots and by the end of the first day she was so badly blistered that when she sent me pics, I asked her to turn around, cuz I couldnt see how she'd possibly last another 7 days. I don't know that I'd have made it as far as she did. But a guy at the 1st hut gave her Compeed and she didnt have a moment of pain for the rest of the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by porthunter View Post
    After some bad experiences and wise advice from more seasoned guys, I opted out of leuko tape or anything like that as it just rips off everything thats been healing when you take it off.

I use non stick gauze now. Cover the blister/wound so that when I take it off, it isn't like starting the healing process all over again and ripping off more skin.
    How many guys are getting blisters on a regular basis. I haven’t had a blister on my feet in at least 15 years. Maybe it’s because I wear work boots every day or because I buy good quality hunting boots, but no problems. Even my wife who doesn’t wear work boots can strap on her lowAs without breaking them in and hike for days straight without problems.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    How many guys are getting blisters on a regular basis. I haven’t had a blister on my feet in at least 15 years. Maybe it’s because I wear work boots every day or because I buy good quality hunting boots, but no problems. Even my wife who doesn’t wear work boots can strap on her lowAs without breaking them in and hike for days straight without problems.
    I've broken both knees and badly sprained one ankle. I occasionally have really bad swelling in my feet and itll change my feet enough that I'll blister. Or moisture, if I dont take care of my feet, and the stay moist. Then they have a higher chance of blistering. It's rare, but it does happen.

I don't usually get blisters. Just skin just gets hard and falls off without any of the goo.

You got me Jim lol, But dont let anyone else know that im shy, It will ruin my reputation of being a Dick lol

Quote Originally Posted by coldbuc69 View Post
    You got me Jim lol, But dont let anyone else know that im shy, It will ruin my reputation of being a Dick lol
    Ok ya Dick, PM me some GPS co-ordinates
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    Ok. Evidently you aren’t picking up what I am laying down. Try this again.

So my first sheep hunt was spurred by a trip to Liard Hotsprings with my GF on the August long weekends over a decade ago. Coming back we stopped to get a cinnamon bun at the galactic center of the universe. And in the back of a pickup there was a set of horns poking out of a backpack. I nattered at her about sheep hunting and backpacking and the mountains all the way back.
    Got back and talked to my hunting partner about it as well and we started making plans for the following year that week. GF offered to buy a smaller backpacking tent for my birthday if that was something I wanted to do.

Came back to work after the weekend and my hunting partner said “how much holiday time do you have? What are you doing next week? Want to hunt sheep?!?!?!”
    Had the time, and couldn’t come up with a reason to not go, so we bought some mountain house and I borrowed some gear and we eye****ed some google earth and 4 days later we headed out for 7 days of sheep hunting.

That first hunt I used my Coleman Peak1 backpack to carry an MEC -20*C down bag, my Remington 700 XCR 300 Ultra, and a bushnell $150 spotting scope. I borrowed a heavy thermarest and a whisper light, and wore some columbia zip off pants and an UA shirt and the same scarpa boots I wore for work. And some of the same pisspoor rain gear I work to work every day. The only reasonably acceptable gear I owned for sheep hunting was a pair of Zeiss 10x42 Binoculars, and that new MSR Hubba Hubba.

And there was rain. And bugs. And hot. And we saw sheep and caribou and elk and moose and grizzlies. And we loved every minute of it.

As soon as I got back I started upgrading and changing out the gear that didn’t work for me. First thing I did was start looking at glass, and researching and looking. And then bought a Swarovski spotter (I just couldn’t justify the $4500 for a Leica). Over the years I have bought and sold top shelf packs, and have tried pretty much everything available, or seen it in hard use first hand. I have spent weeks and months researching and buying and selling gear. The only things I still use from the first couple of sheep seasons are my Jetboil Sol (no longer available), my Sea to Summit long spoon, and the swarovski spotter and tripod.

It has been a long and expensive journey getting to this point, and I still change gear as changes to technology occurs and I find something lighter/stronger/better and more reliable, but that is purely for comfort.

HOWEVER, the number one thing that will make you successful as a sheep hunter (or a hunter period), is being ok with being uncomfortable. Don’t have the best glass? You are going to have to walk more. Don’t have the best tent? You are going to be cold and wet. Don’t have the toughest lightest pack? Your back is going to hurt.
    Accept that, and do the best you can with what you have and you will be successful.

And you will either be a sheep hunter or you won’t. I’m a sheep hunter. It’s how I identify as a hunter. Right from that very first trip, relatively late in life,I was hooked. And you will be too, or you won’t. Some guys go on a sheep trip and come back and say “yeah that was ok. We saw some ewes. Was different.” And they will maybe go again some time, or maybe they won’t. Those guys have hunted sheep, but they aren’t Sheep Hunters.

When you spend your months daydreaming about sheep hunting, planning for sheep hunting, looking at gear that will let you get a little farther, a little quicker, in the hopes that you might see sheep, then you are a Sheep Hunter, and the gear questions will be more pointed, more researched, and the responses will be of more value to you. Or maybe you won’t want to be a sheep hunter after you try it.

This is one of the best comments I have read on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    All of my 3 pairs of mountaineering boots fit well, none cause me blisters even on extended days of up to 20km's.

My trail runners though, every damned time I go for a run, by the 5km mark I have a toonie sized blister on each foot in the exact same spot, these just don't seem to fit my foot well. The blisters are in a weird spot on the bottom of my foot too, in the past the few blisters I got, I typically experienced them in high friction spots like my heels.

In short, I guess what I'm saying is boot fit is the most important thing.

I got a small blister/ hotspot in a weird spot last year from side hilling for a couple hours straight