Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: August sheep hunt gear questions

Re: August sheep hunt gear questions

Pants: depends how hot you run. I'd go with lighter pants.

Boots: Lowas are going to be way better. Need that support for up, down, and side-hilling.

Bag: keep it light!

Obviously a lot of variables on any mountain hunt, the weather being the biggest one but you are far more likely to have warm weather than cold in August. I didn't see you mention when in August so I assumed opener. I usually will adjust a couple of items at the last minute depends on the forecast.
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by pg83 View Post
    Pants: depends how hot you run. I'd go with lighter pants.

Boots: Lowas are going to be way better. Need that support for up, down, and side-hilling.

Bag: keep it light!

Obviously a lot of variables on any mountain hunt, the weather being the biggest one but you are far more likely to have warm weather than cold in August. I didn't see you mention when in August so I assumed opener. I usually will adjust a couple of items at the last minute depends on the forecast.
    Definitely opener, my bag is a -9C bag with a comfort rating of -2.2C, down and just under 2lbs...
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Quote Originally Posted by huntcoop View Post
    Definitely opener, my bag is a -9C bag with a comfort rating of -2.2C, down and just under 2lbs...
    I run synthetic for various reasons, the main being that if I'm wet at the end of the day, I can go into my bag knowing that as long as I'm wearing the right materials, I'll wake up dry.

Marmot Trestles Elite Eco bag, rated for down to -7, weighs under 2.5lbs and works very very well!
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

Get a siltarp or equivalent over better pants etc. Can use it to keep rain off you when glassing for hours. I have even set mine up to provide shade (nothing like getting a sunburn in the hills) when it gets hot on those august days. But the most important is to use it as a sanity tarp so you dont go insane inside your tent on days and days of rain and fog. Even getting outside of your tent and sitting under a tarp watching the fog and rain/ chucking pebbles and who knows what type of bug, beats laying in your tent looking at the ceiling.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

They used to sell a sil.dome..top notch piece of kit for sheep ms.
    Srupp

Quote Originally Posted by porthunter View Post
    I run synthetic for various reasons, the main being that if I'm wet at the end of the day, I can go into my bag knowing that as long as I'm wearing the right materials, I'll wake up dry.

Marmot Trestles Elite Eco bag, rated for down to -7, weighs under 2.5lbs and works very very well!
    I still bust out the down bag for the early season trips but have switched to synthetics for anything after Sept 1 for the exact reason you listed.

For more info, and it could potentially be life saving, check the video...

https://youtu.be/VHFBMT_pR9Y
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

I’ve had good luck with the treated down. Had a water jug leak once and really soak the bottom of the bag in October on a moose hunt. Bag dried out really quick. If I am a bit wet, I just climb in and wear my clothes dry.

I too prefer the synthetic sleeping bag. Perfect example - had a very long day of walking last year and was so tired by the time I made camp (and soaked from rain/sleet/snow hammering down) I just ate a quick meal and climbed in to the fart sack with all my clothes on. By morning everything was dry including socks, just let the wind hit the the sleeping bag for 20 minutes while packing up camp and was good to go for another day.
    Not sure how that all works with the hydrophobic down but unless it is dry cold of the winter, synthetic seems to be the way to go.

I typically run a light down bag with a synthetic over bag for fall and winter camping. The heat from your body will push moisture out into the syn bag and it also gives you some flexibility in your sleep system. A different variation on the same concept, but works for me and it is way cheaper then buying a new synthetic sleeping bag. Also huge advocate for at least one sil tarp in the group, useful in so many ways from shelter, to meat care, to safety. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Quesnel Kid View Post
    I typically run a light down bag with a synthetic over bag for fall and winter camping. The heat from your body will push moisture out into the syn bag and it also gives you some flexibility in your sleep system. A different variation on the same concept, but works for me and it is way cheaper then buying a new synthetic sleeping bag. Also huge advocate for at least one sil tarp in the group, useful in so many ways from shelter, to meat care, to safety. Have fun.
    How about for sheep opener....
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education