Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Elk sighting

Re: Elk sighting

Sorry I know there is elk crossing signs up there so I didn’t think it would be too bad to make this post. Just excited to see elk. Very cool to see.

yes I’m in Lillooet often and I actually am at the moment. Have been to that museum and they are incredible looking

the biggest elk I have ever seen was on a drive up to Lillooet about 3 or 4 years ago...we saw it cross the highway about 100 yards past an "elk crossing" sign headed down to a farm field..was at least an 8x8

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingtyler123 View Post
    Sorry I know there is elk crossing signs up there so I didn’t think it would be too bad to make this post. Just excited to see elk. Very cool to see.

yes I’m in Lillooet often and I actually am at the moment. Have been to that museum and they are incredible looking
    Don't be sorry.
    Most avid hunters know they are around.
    Besides, they are not legally huntable.

The big issue was a few FN from there that slaughtered a bunch of the herd way back when and due to that, they shut it down.
    The "secret" about them was more back when there was a GOS.
    Like, which mtn to hike up etc back then.

Now, it doesn't matter, imo.
    If they get poached, it isn't because someone here posted a recent pic.
    Seems like there is a big risk of them getting hit by a car as well.
    A beauty was hit just a couple of years back.

Just nice to see that some are around, and one can only hope a season someday again.

As for the FN who did shoot all those elk, I was told they were kicked out of the band.
    One of which, is a character I ran into a few times in Cache Creek.
    He used to go on to many hunters in the area telling them he had already taken 20 MD in a particular season.
    IT isn't the majority of FN that are an issue, just like legal RH.
    Its the few, both FN and RH that are poachers that are the issue and ruin it for the rest of us.

I remember reading in BC Outdoors that the herd behind Boston Bar to Lytton disappeared when they didn't make it to wintering grounds one year (about 25 or so years ago).
    "Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because you agree with it"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Geeezz Stewards of the land . Not !
    Arctic Lake
    LOL I know I was being sarcastic....

Quote Originally Posted by ACB View Post
    Elk dropping antlers? I'v seen Elk with their antlers still attached in the middle of Apr. while hunting Turkey around Creston, that said we saw Bulls that had dropped and had started to grow new antlers (a few inches of growth) on the same trip.
    I too have seen them on elk in early Apr....

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Don't be sorry.
    Most avid hunters know they are around.
    Besides, they are not legally huntable.

The big issue was a few FN from there that slaughtered a bunch of the herd way back when and due to that, they shut it down.
    The "secret" about them was more back when there was a GOS.
    Like, which mtn to hike up etc back then.

Now, it doesn't matter, imo.
    If they get poached, it isn't because someone here posted a recent pic.
    Seems like there is a big risk of them getting hit by a car as well.
    A beauty was hit just a couple of years back.

Just nice to see that some are around, and one can only hope a season someday again.

As for the FN who did shoot all those elk, I was told they were kicked out of the band.
    One of which, is a character I ran into a few times in Cache Creek.
    He used to go on to many hunters in the area telling them he had already taken 20 MD in a particular season.
    IT isn't the majority of FN that are an issue, just like legal RH.
    Its the few, both FN and RH that are poachers that are the issue and ruin it for the rest of us.
    Glad to hear those individuals were kicked out of the band....like you said, a few ruin it for the many.....

Thank you. Yes glad to hear he was kicked out. I know quite a few fn in Lillooet and they do all hunt. Like you say not all of them ruin it for the rest of us. Just a handful do and I agree. Then again it could be different for each band or reserve , I don’t Really know. The people I know in town come across genuine to myself and they are respectful with what they Harvest.

Quote Originally Posted by kolofardos View Post
    I remember reading in BC Outdoors that the herd behind Boston Bar to Lytton disappeared when they didn't make it to wintering grounds one year (about 25 or so years ago).
    Winter of 96

Nice surprise to see a decent little herd on the move.