Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elk sighting

Elk sighting

I can’t upload a bigger picture for some reason. Saw today Between Lytton and Lillooet No bull and couldn’t tell if these dropped their antlers or not ,

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Elk sighting

I work in the Lytton area. Seen a couple groups this spring. Lots of cows, couple spikes, and one very large 6x6
    moose meat mindset

That's great.
    I always wanted to hunt them, and knew of a couple of guys who did hunt them, and where to go/hike etc.
    But then they got hunted down illegally and the season was closed.
    All the times I have driven that route, I have yet to see them.

Thanks for the post.
    And yes, when they were at their height in #'s, there were a few very respectable bulls in the pack.

Remember seeing a huge bull opposite Sikhist back in the 80’s I think it was ! Good to see they are there ! Just a damn shame people poach ! Very majestic creatures those elk are ! Just love the sound of them bugle ! Never hunted them , but hope to before I can’t .
    Arctic Lake
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 03-16-2020 at 06:36 AM.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

While LEH hunting for them in Jan And Feb I seen a few herds of 40 to 60 elks with a few males in the groups in Christian Valley/ hwy 33 corridor. Some locals even complained that they compete with deer for whatever available food there is. Quite a few males still sported antlers at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Remember seeing a huge bull opposite Sikhist back in the 80’s I think it was ! Good to see they are there ! Just a damn shame people poach ! Very majestic creatures those elk are ! Just love the sound of them bugle ! Never hunted them , but hope to before I can’t .
    Arctic Lake
    It's probably the stewards of the land who are poaching them....with that in mind, let's not give exact coordinates people, we don't want them to get wind of where they are, you never know....

Geeezz Stewards of the land . Not !
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    It's probably the stewards of the land who are poaching them....with that in mind, let's not give exact coordinates people, we don't want them to get wind of where they are, you never know....
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

that herd crosses the highway and i have seen them eating on the school feild....i think people know where they are but yes typicall best practice is dont share to much on region 3 elk for their sake.

Elk dropping antlers? I'v seen Elk with their antlers still attached in the middle of Apr. while hunting Turkey around Creston, that said we saw Bulls that had dropped and had started to grow new antlers (a few inches of growth) on the same trip.

If you want to see a truly great set of Elk antlers, check out the Lillooet museum. They have a the antlers that were taken illegally off of Lytton Mountain years a go. Apparently the mayor of Lytton opened the season for hunting Elk a little early and never thought to think that there might more than one hunting party on the mountain before opening day.