Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: how do you know you can shoot xxx yards?

Re: how do you know you can shoot xxx yards?

By all means shoot from a bench to sight your rifle in, you have to be certain of where it is sighted in for. Test where it is hitting at 100 200 300 etc . ( If you don't have a chronograph.) Use your rangefinder and shoot at various ranges to test poi. All from the bench. Practice with a .22 to better your shooting form and method.
    shoot shoot shoot.
    it not only beneficial , its fun!!!!
    B.
    Grandpa used to say, "ya know, when you point your finger at someone , three of your fingers are pointed back at you."

Hard to get a place to practice at 500 plus yds,so try a good quality 22 long rifle at 100 yds and over .With a good high power scope you can see bullet trace and see the effect wind has on the bullet path.Shoot all positions with it ,especially off hand time.I fInd off hand shooting really helps your trigger pull technique.

Practice, practice, practice. I know hunters who buy 1 box of ammo per year, use 3 rounds to make sure they can hit a pie plate at 100 yards and call it good. That is unacceptable to me.
    that pretty much describes me with the shotgun these days. Three rounds a year. But my pellet rifle gets a ton more use for a hell of a lot cheaper. That’s how I keep some shooting chops for when an animal presents itself. As for when I started, 20 hours at the range??? Jeez that was just getting started. Regular range practice. Get off the benches and shoot field positions. But really it was that little pellet rifle that made me a much better shot.

Many years back, I was out at the rifle range when a couple of guys showed up, wanting to sight there rifles in, for the elk hunting season. Now our range is only 200 yards, but these to guys where swearing up and down that it was a 500 yard range. I asked where they were from, And Lo and behold ( LML ). It just shows you how most people do not and can not judge distances unless you are using a rangefinder. And yes the 2 fellows learned a lesson that day !!!