Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: how do you know you can shoot xxx yards?

Re: how do you know you can shoot xxx yards?

Quote Originally Posted by ACB View Post
    I have a friend in Alberta that stated while we were in route for pheasant hunting, that now he had a new Leopold CDS scope on his 7mm mag that he could shoot out to 650 yds. So I asked him, has he been practiced out to 650yds, he said no, no, but the rifle can now do it. I said back to him, your right, the rifle can but unless you practice alot and prove that you can to yourself don't think that just because your rifle can that you can. And of coarse he took affront to that and helped a two and half hour drive go faster.

I have heard this (similar) on a few occasions, yup shoot sheep at 700 no problem at all, lol.

There is a lot to it, getting hits at long range, if you do not have a scope that reliably holds zero or are precise in its adjustment you are not going to get reliable hits.

If your handloads are not exactly on a node and have an ES in the low teens or better single digit you are not going to get reliable hits.

Ability to read the wind and put a value on it is crucial.

Knowing and applying spin drift, coriolis effect, elevation and air temperature to your calculations accurately must be done.

A perfect bench set up will get the best result, using various field positions will downgrade the performance thus the ability to hit will be closer rather than far away.

Like others have stated , practice in the manner that the target will be presented, especially field positions.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

Quote Originally Posted by ACB View Post
    I have a friend in Alberta that stated while we were in route for pheasant hunting, that now he had a new Leopold CDS scope on his 7mm mag that he could shoot out to 650 yds. So I asked him, has he been practiced out to 650yds, he said no, no, but the rifle can now do it. I said back to him, your right, the rifle can but unless you practice alot and prove that you can to yourself don't think that just because your rifle can that you can. And of coarse he took affront to that and helped a two and half hour drive go faster.
    I winessed this at the range one day with a fella from the Far East coast. He hit the 2' square gong at 400m from a lead sled once with a similar scope and told me he was good to hunt to 400m now.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

For me its practice. I shoot more than most people I think. This time of year I do the most shooting and have been doing 3 weekends a month at the range. I establish my shooting range abilities based on each rifle and the scope it wears. I use the zeiss z600 and 800 reticles on 3 rifles and shoot them to those ranges. I am about a year into turrets and still learning them but will be at 1000 yards with them. Now as for hunting nothing has really changed as far as realistic distances. I have shot regular duplex reticle scopes to 500 for many years with fairly consistent results. It doesnt matter what rig I am shooting I want my game to be closer than 500. I recently missed a coyote at 685 yards and wasnt surprised. My shooting position was poor. The way I see it the more I shoot at 500-1000 yards the better game shot I will be from 0-500. I am always striving to learn more about shooting/reloading/rifle accuracy.

I spend way more than 20hrs at the range in a year, the last few years have been less than usual, most of my time has been spent doing sight-ins and load development. Before last year, I probably shot at least a couple hundred rounds a week over the spring/summer in the various disciplines. I really need to get back at it.

The Kamloops range is open to 500yards every day. At least once a month they open it up to, I believe, 900m. One of the long range, I think F-class, groups shoots every Sunday or Monday and anyone can shoot with them. Most are very knowledegable and helpful and I'm sure would lend a few pointers if one was to ask.

I dont shoot a ton, but am also realistic about my abilities. I will shoot at moose out to 150, and bear maybe 100. I typically hunt with guys that have rifles and skills that allow longer shots than i am comfortable.

As a note, the longest shot I have ever attempted on an animal is 150 on a moose, most shots are much closer.

How many long distance shooters shoot off a bench? Because that aint gonna translate to the field!!

Quote Originally Posted by russm86 View Post
    I spend way more than 20hrs at the range in a year, the last few years have been less than usual, most of my time has been spent doing sight-ins and load development. Before last year, I probably shot at least a couple hundred rounds a week over the spring/summer in the various disciplines. I really need to get back at it.

The Kamloops range is open to 500yards every day. At least once a month they open it up to, I believe, 900m. One of the long range, I think F-class, groups shoots every Sunday or Monday and anyone can shoot with them. Most are very knowledgable and helpful and I'm sure would lend a few pointers if one was to ask.
    Good to know, it would be good to watch someone who has a solid foundation
    "It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the the most intelligent , it is the one most adaptable to change"

Bench, prone have 250+ hits out to a mile. I have hits near targets at 3000 yards(like within 8 feet, both sides). 1 km wind moves bullet 29 feet at 3000. 5'X6' target at 3000.
    Freehand hunting longest is 460 yards on a coyote. A deer or moose I won't shoot past 200 yards.
    I know I can because I have.
    Once I hit 3000 with a 338 lapua mag I will sell off all my long range stuff. One 308 that hit 9 of 15 inside a 2.5 inch circle at 800 yards is already spoken for. LIG
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

there is no many born rifle in the hand [bad for mama too] most cases only a lot of practice is a key for good shooting skill..know you gun..know where bullet is gonna hit..needs hundreds if not thousands round to be one with you gun.f..g.

Quote Originally Posted by BCBRAD View Post
    I have heard this (similar) on a few occasions, yup shoot sheep at 700 no problem at all, lol.

There is a lot to it, getting hits at long range, if you do not have a scope that reliably holds zero or are precise in its adjustment you are not going to get reliable hits.

If your handloads are not exactly on a node and have an ES in the low teens or better single digit you are not going to get reliable hits.

Ability to read the wind and put a value on it is crucial.

Knowing and applying spin drift, coriolis effect, elevation and air temperature to your calculations accurately must be done.

A perfect bench set up will get the best result, using various field positions will downgrade the performance thus the ability to hit will be closer rather than far away.

Like others have stated , practice in the manner that the target will be presented, especially field positions.
    And that's why I call Long Range Shooting , "Dial a Prayer" for 90% that do it .
    Don't believe everything you see on You Tube .
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......