Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: how do you know you can shoot xxx yards?

Re: how do you know you can shoot xxx yards?

I’m comfortable to 400 after that forget it.. and that’s a shot I generally will only take for a big boy ! I personally like to get up close and personal if conditions allow to me that’s real hunting not much hunting skill at 500 to 1000 yards but shooting skill yes . But each to their own , a lot can go wrong at extended distance and I hate wounding an animal I’ve done it 3 times in my life and felt sick at heart about all of them. But that’s hunting
    You can crap in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up first

You know you can shoot XXXXX number of yards because you practised at X and XX and XXX after that. Once you are confident at X you can move on at XX then XXX etc. It's a progression. After 65 yrs of shooting I can ring the gong 50% at 950 yes. So I am not "comfortable" at that range. I am comfortable at 800 yes but my game limit is self set at 500 yds. It's all up to the one pulling the trigger.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

A static target at the range doesn't move, jump, act erratically. A distance that you can hit paper at is irrelevant once you add the reponsibility of cleanly killing game - then it becomes the distance that you can STAND, and put three shots into an 8" circle. Gain skills and get closer. I've guided hundreds of clients that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn if it breathed and moved. But they could poke a hole in paper at 1000yrds. Do better. Don't think you can control variables that you cannot. Get closer.

The total distance of my three deer harvested in 2019 didn't exceed 200 yards. Longest one was at 148 yards. This has been pretty typical for me all my hunting days. I usually hunt in sparse woodlots and brush. I use the bench to sight in to 100 or 200 yards depending on caliber and the scope. I'll shoot water bottles and rocks out to 300 and sometimes farther if I can find a safe place to do so. Holding steady on 400 is almost too much for me so I don't bother shooting any further. If I see a deer out at 400, I'm going to get back in the truck and will drive closer.

I know what my main rifles shoot consistently like at 200 metres with me at the wheel and it ain't great. That's why I'm grateful most of my shots are at less than 100 metres and most less than that.

I’ve added a bipod to my riffle two years ago I’m just not young and steady now lol but it sure has made a difference for me. I can still hammer them off hand but it needs to be 100 or less now and preferably not moving and broad side lol bipod comes in very handy for the whitetail that’s for sure
    You can crap in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up first

Nothing can replace someone coaching you while shooting (following the marksmanship principles). Once you have a good base or handle on the fundamentals of natural alignment, position, sight picture, shot release/follow-through then learning what your bullet is doing and what type of scope system will become important. The coaching and feedback are worth more than just learning the scope itself

I am by no means an expert shot. I want to be better. While practice is probably most important, some guidance goes along way and unless you have a mentor that you can lean on I suggest books or the internet for some off range studying. This can go a long way to fast tracking your prerformance the next time you hit the range.
    Check out the blog below. I just started reading it myself and there is lots of good stuff that you can even practice at home.
    Another thing to consider is a shooting sling. Like a 1907 military sling. Look it up. It can be a real advantage to your shooting platform.
    https://artoftherifle.com
    Last edited by Greenthumbed; 03-17-2020 at 05:35 PM.
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

Quote Originally Posted by festerstix View Post
    A static target at the range doesn't move, jump, act erratically. A distance that you can hit paper at is irrelevant once you add the reponsibility of cleanly killing game - then it becomes the distance that you can STAND, and put three shots into an 8" circle. Gain skills and get closer. I've guided hundreds of clients that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn if it breathed and moved. But they could poke a hole in paper at 1000yrds. Do better. Don't think you can control variables that you cannot. Get closer.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Words of wisdom there ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Good post .
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Shooting at steel targets and shooting at animals is two different ball games.
    I mentor people to shoot at steel targets at a mile(58 successfully). I would not mentor people to shoot at animals past 200 yards.
    I shoot more rounds in a year than most people shoot in a lifetime. I hunt and fish and enjoy adventures.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"