Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how do you know you can shoot xxx yards?

how do you know you can shoot xxx yards?

I hear so many hunters "brag" about how they can shoot so many yards etc and like fishing it seems to get bigger after a pint or two.

So how do you get better at longer shots?
    how often do you go to the range?
    How do you learn to correct your mistakes?

In the States there seems to be courses to learn good shooting practises and range days for teaching people but i seem to be drawing a blank, and i get youtube has many great videos but even as a member of the range here in Kamloops no one offers lessons??

Are we missing something in the hunting world and just hoping people can learn good habits themselves?

So being honest how many of you actually put in OVER 20 hours in at the range to get better at shooting?
    There is no right or wrong here i am a fairly new hunter that is trying to learn good practices for all parts of hunting and just looking forward to hearing everyones experiences.

cheers
    "It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the the most intelligent , it is the one most adaptable to change"

2. Site Sponsor

Re: how do you know you can shoot xxx yards?

Practice Practice Practice....Only way to know and the only way to get better.

Shooting is a skill that like most skills is only perfected with practice...no way around it.

I did some marginal shooting in my earlier days hunting... losing wounded animals is no fun! Spend as much time as you can practicing. Realistic field practice is important, offhand, shooting off a backpack etc. I see too many people just practicing off the bench.

playing devils advocate .... what if what i am practising is incorrect and not getting me better, has anyone seen any professional course/lessons or is it just a thing south of the border?
    "It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the the most intelligent , it is the one most adaptable to change"

I went to the range last year about 5 times for 2 hours each outing. We have a range that is about 300 yards max last year was my first year shooting that far. There are hunts where long shots maybe needed if you are capable but for me the long shot is missing a lot of the hunt I like getting close to the animals. I’m no long range shooter 300 yards is max for me.

Long range shooting instruction every year at the WSSBC event in Kamloops. You know, the one that isn’t happening.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

So, are you missing the target? Does the gong not ring when you hit it? Are you not having someone mark where your bullets are hitting? Shooting, has instant results, like faster than the speed of sound results!! Getting better is all practice, If you keep getting the same undesirable results, try something different. Were not sending a man to the moon, it's not rocket science, oh wait Hornady says it is!!!!!! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

There must be some shooting clubs out there, especially in the States with "Shooting instructors".

The one thing about technology, range finders have definetly helped.
    I used to shoot elk acroos the river(always coming out at the same trail, standing beside the same bush.
    Always thought it was 200-250 yards.
    Now, when I range, I find out it was exactly 326.
    Now, when I sit somewhwere, 1st thing I do is range different spots.
    To know exactly what I can shoot at, and what I have to wait on.
    I am looking to find spots, and if need be, call in a bull to 200 yards or less.
    Otherewise, I need a solid frickin rest.

One thing, practice.
    And, even if you do it wrong....maybe you are just doing it "differently".
    BUT, if it gets excellent results, then it doesn't matter.

There are golfers, like Jim furyk, who have unorthodox swings, yet play fantastic golf.
    Don't worry about that.
    If the scope whacks you in the head at the range, well then, you definitely need someone's help!...

Chilliwack dart and tackle puts on long range shooting courses!

Brad

First and foremost be realistic about your present abilities. Don't shoot any further than you are very confident at. As far as I am concerned, the best starting point is at the range with a 22 long rifle. Learn proper technique. Mounting, breathing, check pressure, follow through. When you can shoot consistently high scores at 20 to 25 yards, both off the bench and prone without a rest, you are ready to stretch your wings. Another option might also be 22 silhouette shooting. Proper bench technique is also important when shooting there. The BCRA is worth contacting as they shoot long range. Reloading is also a good idea as range time is mandatory during load development and you can shoot more for the same money while developing good shooting technique. As others have said, there is no substitute for lots of good practice. There are many good shooters out there who can pass along lots of good advice. You just have to link up with them, and that involves getting out to a shooting event or club.