Quote Originally Posted by ACB View Post
I have a friend in Alberta that stated while we were in route for pheasant hunting, that now he had a new Leopold CDS scope on his 7mm mag that he could shoot out to 650 yds. So I asked him, has he been practiced out to 650yds, he said no, no, but the rifle can now do it. I said back to him, your right, the rifle can but unless you practice alot and prove that you can to yourself don't think that just because your rifle can that you can. And of coarse he took affront to that and helped a two and half hour drive go faster.

I have heard this (similar) on a few occasions, yup shoot sheep at 700 no problem at all, lol.

There is a lot to it, getting hits at long range, if you do not have a scope that reliably holds zero or are precise in its adjustment you are not going to get reliable hits.

If your handloads are not exactly on a node and have an ES in the low teens or better single digit you are not going to get reliable hits.

Ability to read the wind and put a value on it is crucial.

Knowing and applying spin drift, coriolis effect, elevation and air temperature to your calculations accurately must be done.

A perfect bench set up will get the best result, using various field positions will downgrade the performance thus the ability to hit will be closer rather than far away.

Like others have stated , practice in the manner that the target will be presented, especially field positions.