Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Knife Sharpening Assitance Please (which stones and what Grit?)

Knife Sharpening Assitance Please (which stones and what Grit?)

I'd like to be able to sharpen my own knifes for hunting and for the house. Including hatchets and axes.
    From youtube it looks like there are a lot of options and I am getting paralysis from analysis.

It seems like you could get away with a 1000 grit diamond (DMT) or ceramic stone, and then use a honing thing to clean it up?

It seems like a 8"x3" is more than enough size wise. Is there a minimum width/length that is recommended? I have a longer cutting knife for the kitchen that is around 8-9"s.

I think if I spent $100 - $150 I'd be ok with that but I'd want the tools/stones to last a LOOONG time for that price.

Cheers.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Knife Sharpening Assitance Please (which stones and what Grit?)

I was in the meat industry for many, many years slaughtering and deboning . If you need ,get reasonably priced commercial knives that butcher,meat cutters use day in day out .I will list the following ,Victorinox , Swibo, Henckels .Cabelas has the yellow handled Henckels that are good for the home do it yourselfer .A knife steel used for making knives that has a Rockwell Hardness of 56 to 60 is good . Not too soft to need to put on the stone all the time and not too hard that it takes forever to sharpen . Get a good butchers steel to straighten the knife edge while using your knife . When the steel won’t resurrect the the edge , time to hit the stone again ! Great sharpening steels are made by F.Dick of Germany or Henckels . Get a sharpening steel that is a harder steel than what your knives are made of !
    Get yourself a good set of Water Stones you can order online from a butcher supply or restaurant commercial supplier or I will suggest Lee Valley Tools has a wide range of water stones in various grits more than enough selection !
    If you use an electric powered machine WATCH OUT you don’t take the temper out of it by heating the steel too much !
    Stone wise the rule of thumb is to match the stone length to the knife length 8x3 is fine or even a little less in width .
    Do you have a Lee Valley catalog ?If not they are free, explains a lot about stone grits and what grit is best used for what VERY informative . Now here is the thing Do Not Go Down The Rabbit Hole on Sharpening you will go nuts ! It is like any subject out there it can get crazy ! A sharp knife is a sharp knife if it’s cutting well it’s cutting well ! 15 to 20 degrees is a good angle for what you will need to do . Check out the Blades Forum on the internet MORE than enough information on there . When I get a chance I can post a link to what I think is a good You Tube vid
    Arctic Lake
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 03-15-2020 at 05:35 PM.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Worksharp solved all my household knife sharpening needs.
    Also diamond honing rod that I keep on the kitchen counter and re-hone kitchen knives once in a while.
    For hunting, worksharp plus small diamod stone for honing in the field.
    When I come back I use worksharp to run them through once.

I have abandoned the stones, too much work.
    They don't do any better job than worksharp for 98 percent of the time.
    For that 2 percent than you need shaving sharp, get a razor.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

I was skeptical of the worksharp but I have to admit it works very good. I have the ken onion edition and have sharpened every knife in the house to shaving sharp. Lol. I also have the Lansky system and it also works very good but takes way longer
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    I was in the meat industry for many, many years slaughtering and deboning . If you need ,get reasonably priced commercial knives that butcher,meat cutters use day in day out .I will list the following ,Victorinox , Swibo, Henckels .Cabelas has the yellow handled Henckels that are good for the home do it yourselfer .A knife steel used for making knives that has a Rockwell Hardness of 56 to 60 is good . Not too soft to need to put on the stone all the time and not too hard that it takes forever to sharpen . Get a good butchers steel to straighten the knife edge while using your knife . When the steel won’t resurrect the the edge , time to hit the stone again ! Great sharpening steels are made by F.Dick of Germany or Henckels . Get a sharpening steel that is a harder steel than what your knives are made of !
    Get yourself a good set of Water Stones you can order online from a butcher supply or restaurant commercial supplier or I will suggest Lee Valley Tools has a wide range of water stones in various grits more than enough selection !
    If you use an electric powered machine WATCH OUT you don’t take the temper out of it by heating the steel too much !
    Stone wise the rule of thumb is to match the stone length to the knife length 8x3 is fine or even a little less in width .
    Do you have a Lee Valley catalog ?If not they are free, explains a lot about stone grits and what grit is best used for what VERY informative . Now here is the thing Do Not Go Down The Rabbit Hole on Sharpening you will go nuts ! It is like any subject out there it can get crazy ! A sharp knife is a sharp knife if it’s cutting well it’s cutting well ! 15 to 20 degrees is a good angle for what you will need to do . Check out the Blades Forum on the internet MORE than enough information on there . When I get a chance I can post a link to what I think is a good You Tube vid
    Arctic Lake
    I have an old sharpening steel, no markings on it, stag handle and it works like a charm.
    Also have stones down to 6000 grit, a few strokes and a leather strop after and it's sharp a as razor.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Hmmm have used the Lans key sharpening system for over 20 years...
    I also have a powered sharpening system for kitchen knives...faster and pretty good results.
    Cheers
    Srupp

What Artic Lake said. Sharpening is merely abrading steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Arctic Lake
    Thank you for the great info.
    I'm still confused about grit required

Have any opinions on the various grits and what you'd recommend for sharpening?

Seems like having one stone to really set the angle and get it sharp and then another stone to get it buffed up and as sharp as possible.

Lenard Lee suggested 1000, since you are cutting flesh, not wood, a fine saw action works great. I have been using a 1000 grit water stone in the kitchen for years.

I have the Worksharp guided sharpening system and love it. Haven't heard a bad thing about the Ken Onion sharpener if you want to spend more.