Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended Scopes

Recommended Scopes

Hi everyone

I have a Sako 270wsm that I am looking to put a new scope on.

The rifle weighs about 6.5 lbs and I want to keep the new scope within a reasonable ratio.

I was hoping to grab a bushnell during their big sale but the lightest I like is 24 oz. and I wasnt a huge fan of the MOA deploy Christmas tree reticle.

I love researching anything outdoor gear related. I've been looking at the Swaro 3 and 5, don't know much about Leupold but have heard some negative and much more positive. Also looking at the zeiss conquest equivalent.

I know there's a huge array of options nowadays. I've been hunting for a few years and love the lifestyle. I do a combination of spot and stalk and open glassing. I would like to be able to poke out to 6 or 700 yards.

What does everyone suggest? Ideally I could find a nice used scope around 1k. I'd say 1k is my budget.

Cheers!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Recommended Scopes

If you have been hunting for only a few years then I would guess you have been shooting for the same amount of time. I think at this stage looking to shoot 600-700 yards is not realistic. I have been hunting for over 50 years and in that time I have had four kills at a measured 400-450 yards. I had practiced at that distance and knew what the rifle would do, but it is not very often you will have shots at this range. Get proficient out to 400 yards, preferably shorter distances before you look at anything further. Now if you are an experienced long range shooter that is just starting out hunting that may be different. For what you are looking at a Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x 40 would be a perfect scope for that rifle. Good balance of light weight , good quality glass and adequate magnification.

Swaro glass is great, but they do lack the real long range abilities unless you step into a Z8 or X5.

I'm currently running a Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16x44, nice light weight set up that has the ability to get out there when you want to. The Leupold VX5 3-15x44 would probably be a good alternative to that, havent used one but have heard lots of good.
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

Cannot BEAT a Leupold VX111 I 4.5-14 x 40 30 MM TUBE Side Focus and CDS ZL with a Duplex reticle #177861 jmo RJ

The Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16 x 44 is another Excellent scope BUT a bit Heavier and Bulkier ! RJ
    Last edited by REMINGTON JIM; 04-15-2020 at 10:08 PM.

Thanks guys super helpful!

What you do is call Nechako Outdoors, ask for Mark, describe what you want, and he will set you up with what you need.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

For lightweight I would look at the a Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x40 CDS 30mm tube, after that the Leupold 3-15x44 or one of my favourites the ZEISS V4 4-16x44 zero stop MOA dial, an amazing scope, tough as nails, excellent low light performance,
    Talk to Mark at Nechako Sports or Omer at Precision Optics, if those two guys can’t help you no one can.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Has anyone done a side by side of the vx-3i 2.5-8x36 an the z3 3-9x36?
    "swaro is the best"... I get it. But is it worth the extra $200?

Last edited by warnniklz; 04-15-2020 at 09:15 PM.

Why dont you just buy the scope "Remington Jim" is selling.

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    Has anyone done a side by side of the vx-3i 2.5-8x36 an the z3 3-9x36?
    "swaro is the best"... I get it. But is it worth the extra $200?

my z3 3-9x36 beside my vx3 1.75-6x32, the difference is nil (besides the vx3’s heavy duplex). I’d personally take the z3 in that magnification range, I’d even spend the extra $200.

Not comparable, but my vx5hd is definitely noticeably clearer and sharper then the z3, but looks like a club on my little rifle, the first day was first love, I haven’t even shot it yet.... and I’m thinking of a divorce lol. Not a fan of the big 30mm tube.