Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Knife Sharpening Assitance Please (which stones and what Grit?)

Re: Knife Sharpening Assitance Please (which stones and what Grit?)

Chef's Choice for everything. Ancient two sided stone for the field. Only exception is our Japanese fish knife that is one sided. SIL, the chef does that one on his stones.

Never was willing to put in the time to learn to build a good edge. It is a skill, for sure.

Different options have been posted above . Grits in stone . Think of sandpaper , coarser the grit faster the removal of wood and the rougher the finish . Take that same principle to stone grits an how it would work on knife steel .The lower the number in a stones grit the coarser the stone which equates to faster metal removal . Higher the number in a stones grit the finer the stones grit and will thus remove less material . I believe Lee has a book on knife sharpening as does Steve Bottorff Sharpening made Easy . I think he has a website as well.
    As mentioned earlier check out the Blades Forum on the web !
    Arctic Lake
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 03-20-2020 at 08:09 AM.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

I have a hard covered book on sharpening tools by LEE....the guy from Lee valley tools..
    with Lans key system you start on courses stone..work until it develops a wire edge along entire blade length.
    change to finer stones. Repeat..
    When finished I then strop the blade edge on a leather belt glued to a 24 and use green stopping compound
    Knife sharpening is like fly tying or woodwork..you do it when your mind will allow you to do it well.
    Srupp

i have the lanskey system and there is some great utube videos on it .. found some great techniques on the use and sharpening and some things i didnt know . then i run the blade across a pop bottle top . just a few times. that works good .
    " Never tell me the Odds "

Quote Originally Posted by r106 View Post
    I was skeptical of the worksharp but I have to admit it works very good. I have the ken onion edition and have sharpened every knife in the house to shaving sharp. Lol. I also have the Lansky system and it also works very good but takes way longer
    I bought the same ken onion one thru amazon and I like it

all good options. Thanks for sharing the experiences.

That worksharp seems pretty slick. Essentially the cost of a couple high quality stones.
    My guess is the stones will last longer vs the electric motors and relacing bands and other parts.

I do like the idea of art of sharpening and i feel like I am going to have time to figure it out due to this damn virus.

Seems like a 1000 grit stone is versatile. Then maybe a ceramic to really clean it up. I have a old leather belt so I like SRUPP's 2x4 idea.

Second any and all recommendations of a work sharp. I started with stones, and I will say I got better results with the stones after spending two hours on a single blade across 6 different stones. Meanwhile 1 minute on the work sharp gets me results that are plenty good enough for cutting up an animal.

Another vote for WorkSharp. Had it for 5 years now. These work for all household needs. Wife complained everything was to sharp kept cutting herself till she got used to it. I’ve done everything from knives to shovels, machetes, scissors.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    I have an old sharpening steel, no markings on it, stag handle and it works like a charm.
    Also have stones down to 6000 grit, a few strokes and a leather strop after and it's sharp a as razor.
    how do you maintain your angle through the whole sweep?

This video shows how quickly it's possible to sharpen a dull knife when you have good technique, my problem in the past was to get the technique right. Might need to get some Whetstones again and give it another try.

https://youtu.be/kFhMGJYhYpU

With practice you can maintained the desired angled edge on both sides of the blade . Lee Valley has a little black plastic gizmo that you clamp on your blade if you would l8keto go that route .
    Arctic Lake

Quote Originally Posted by alpinedust View Post
    how do you maintain your angle through the whole sweep?

This video shows how quickly it's possible to sharpen a dull knife when you have good technique, my problem in the past was to get the technique right. Might need to get some Whetstones again and give it another try.

https://youtu.be/kFhMGJYhYpU
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !