Thread: Colombia River Walleye

Colombia River Walleye

Just read about this fishery near Castlegar. Has anyone fished them? i used to live in walleye country and got the itch. Also is there any areas to bush camp since all campgrounds are shut down still? These damn kids are driving me nuts and i gotta get them out fishing. Walleye jigging would be good for the kids compared to trolling around all day

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Colombia River Walleye

On my to do list ..... there are spots from shore as well as places to put a boat in .

Yes there is walleye in the Columbia. Find a deep hole and fish it just before dark. Jigs and spoons work. If you have a boat that gives even better options.

I’ve fished the Columbia from Castlegar to the border since the early ‘90s. Used to be good walleye fishing pretty much all year but mainly late fall to early spring now. They’ve opened up such a generous allowable catch that it’s really diminished the amount that are in that system now. Across from Celgar Mill all the way to the US border has decent holes to fish. It’s a beautiful river to fish, but a boat is the best way. There are spots to walk to, but accessibility is somewhat limited. Watch for sturgeon as their rehabilitation program is working well and there are many in that system. There isn’t a fishery for them, but sometimes they’ll take your scented jigs.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

I live on the river and have caught a couple this time of year but late summer/fall is the prime time. A few come up to spawn in the spring is what I have heard. With basically no bag limit they have been hit hard though.