Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBQ sauce

BBQ sauce

Now that the prime cuts are gone, i am slowcooking the tougher cuts like neck or shoulder for shredded venison dishes. Store-bought BBQ sauces are usually quite sweet. So i am wondering if you can share a good, game appropriate BBQ sause recipe? Family heirloom recipes are welcome.
    Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: BBQ sauce

Instant Pot Venison Bourguignon - try this - not sweet, but savoury - will soften up the tougher cuts

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon oil
    • 6 slices bacon, roughly chopped
    • 3 pounds Venison, cut into 2-inch pieces
    • 1 cup red cooking wine
    • 2 cups beef broth
    • 1/2 cup tomato sauce
    • 1 beef boullion cube, crushed
    • 1/4 cup flour
    • 2 large carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
    • 1 white onion, chopped
    • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
    • 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped or 3 teaspoons dried thyme
    • 1 pound baby potatoes
    • 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
    • 1-2 teaspoons salt or to taste
    • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
    • chopped parsley for garnish

Instructions

• Set instant pot to SAUTE. Drizzle with oil and sear bacon 3-4 minutes until cooked through. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
    • Add venison to pot and sear 3-4 minutes, using tongs to rotate periodically to brown all sides.
    • Add red wine to the pot, scrape any brown bits off the bottom and sides of the pot and into the liquid. Simmer and reduce for about 5 minutes. Gradually add beef broth, tomato sauce, and boullion. Gradually whisk in flour.
    • Stir in bacon, carrots, onions, garlic, thyme, potatoes, mushrooms, salt and pepper. Cover and set to PRESSURE COOK or MANUAL. Set to 45 minutes.
    • Do a natural release for 10 minutes (do nothing, just allow to depressurize during this time) then switch valve to VENT and do a quick release. Once float valve drops, remove lid. Set to SAUTE again and allow to thicken for 5-10 minutes.
    • Give it a good stir and taste before adding salt and pepper if needed and garnishing with chopped parsley.

Try this Chilindron recipe off of Meat eater show ,Hank Shaw was on.This is really good !Just did a neck roast cubed up .You really need to brown the heck out of it like the recipe says but man is it good . My new favorite .You can use shank , brisket or rib meat too .
    https://honest-food.net/spanish-chilindron-stew/

Slow cooker for 6-8 hours. 4-8lb deer leg or neck roast. 1/4 cup of no name beef bullion liquid. 2 onions and 1 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp of pepper. 5 nuggets of garlic, sliced up. In a new slow cooker liner to save on cleanup. 1/2 cup of water. Almost pulled pork consistency.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by GEF View Post
    Try this Chilindron recipe off of Meat eater show ,Hank Shaw was on.This is really good !Just did a neck roast cubed up .You really need to brown the heck out of it like the recipe says but man is it good . My new favorite .You can use shank , brisket or rib meat too .
    https://honest-food.net/spanish-chilindron-stew/
    Although I’m not lucky enough to have game meat to try it with ,I’ve made this with beef several times, this recipe is fantastic! Ive made it for family, all enjoyed . I highly recommend Giving it a go.

i just marinade all the tougher cuts of meat in coke and some bbq sauce for 24hrs then onto the bbq

Some great suggestions that will be tried shortly.

Keep them coming

nice sharing

I'm not a big fan of bullseye or kraft type bbq sauces, they taste super sweet and artificial..we are stocked with Guy Fiereres (spelling?) from costco..that stuff is good! All the styles have layers of authentic tasting flavors with a subtle smokiness.
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    I'm not a big fan of bullseye or kraft type bbq sauces, they taste super sweet and artificial..we are stocked with Guy Fiereres (spelling?) from costco..that stuff is good! All the styles have layers of authentic tasting flavors with a subtle smokiness.
    I kind of like the Fieres stuff however Cattleboyz is awesome. I take a bunch of different BBQ sauces and put them in the mixing bowl along with finely chopped onion, garlic and if you can get it, It is called "EVERYTHING bagel topping". Then I pour it back into the bottles. I also add some decarboxylated cannabis which is ground down to a fine powder. People always seem to have a smile when they come for a BBQ. If you can find the movie, Baked in Brooklyn. It's hilarious.....
    Last edited by Edzzed; 03-08-2020 at 11:59 AM.