Thread: Ice situation on Lakes around Manning or Coq?

Ice situation on Lakes around Manning or Coq?

Thinking of making one last ice fishing weekend trip this upcoming weekend. Has anyone been to Manning area or around the Coq and can give some insights into how thick the ice is?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Ice situation on Lakes around Manning or Coq?

A fella died in Merritt on Nicola Lake recently.
    Fell through the ice.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    A fella died in Merritt on Nicola Lake recently.
    Fell through the ice.
    well, Nicola lake is not really comparable to the lakes in question.. not even 30 minutes up 97C from Nicola, there is 6+ inches of ice on the lakes. Drastic elevation differences

also, how that person “fell through the ice” is beyond me. There isn’t even a skiff of ice anywhere on the entire lake, he apparently fell in on Sunday and Tuesday no ice to seen anywhere ? I feel like maybe he slipped in or fell out of a boat and it was misreported? Seems strange to go from enough ice to support a grown man to walk on until it was deep enough he couldn’t touch bottom then nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    well, Nicola lake is not really comparable to the lakes in question.. not even 30 minutes up 97C from Nicola, there is 6+ inches of ice on the lakes. Drastic elevation differences

also, how that person “fell through the ice” is beyond me. There isn’t even a skiff of ice anywhere on the entire lake, he apparently fell in on Sunday and Tuesday no ice to seen anywhere ? I feel like maybe he slipped in or fell out of a boat and it was misreported? Seems strange to go from enough ice to support a grown man to walk on until it was deep enough he couldn’t touch bottom then nothing?

Police are urging the public to be cautious following the death of man who fell through the ice on Nicola Lake near Merritt last weekend.
    Merritt RCMP were called to the lake last Sunday after a man in his 60s plunged into the water.
    “The man had been walking out to check a fishing rod when the ice gave way,” RCMP Staff Sgt. Lorne Wood said.
    “Merritt Search and Rescue assisted to find the man, who had unfortunately succumbed due to the cold water.”
    The BC Coroners Service is investigating.
    Police are warning people that the unseasonably warm weather has weakened the ice on many lakes in the Nicola and Thompson areas, noting danger exists, particularly with large bodies of water at lower elevations.
    “Please use caution to check ice thickness before heading out or, better yet, avoid going on the water until ice off later in the spring,” Wood said.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

I wasn’t doubting it happened, I actually live in the area... I’m just intrigued how one day he was walking on ice and plunged through and less than 72 hours later there was no ice on the lake, and it’s been colder this last week than the prior month. Either way, an unfortunate situation.

There was still 19” on the lakes up around 70 mile a couple weeks ago

I took the scenic route through Kane Valley on the way to Kelowna this weekend
    and there were a few people fishing the lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by curly_fishr View Post
    There was still 19” on the lakes up around 70 mile a couple weeks ago
    Wrong area but probably 20” on bridge lake near 100 mile the other day but the ice quality was crap.
    safe enough but lots of hard/soft layers.