Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY - anybody replaced a travel trailer roof?

Re: DIY - anybody replaced a travel trailer roof?

I am just finishing up an 8ft camper I custom made for myself, all plywood or osb, no tin. Tin sweats and causes rot and mildew so thats the reasoning.
    I sealed the unit with liquid rubber, the black stuff is thicker and I used it on the roof and about 6" down each side.
    Then I used the white stuff on the walls, its thinner so I thought it would be fine on the walls.

Then to reflect the heat on the black roof I went over the roof with the white and that worked good so....several coats on all surfaces cost me about $250-$300.
    No leaks, and its good for 5 years and can be touched up easy and cheap.

Another option to think about....re-plywood then get a duradeck installer to put duradeck over it, its pricey but I checked into it and its an option especially if a pro puts it on and folds the corners properly. If you don't care about color then you may find an installer who has a part roll and you can get that at a discount.

One more option I checked into and almost did...put a torch on membrane over the plywood, get a pro to put that on too, its abit heavy and pricey too. If you know someone in the business you may get the material cheap, like I got a part roll of the membrane from a torch on buddy for free, and he would of torched it on for me for a bottle on a saturday.
    The membrane is the kind they put on over a deck before pouring concrete over it, its about 3/16" thick or so.
    Hope this gives you some idea's.

Run, not walk, away. Free would be too expensive. I did that on a tent trailer, new box and rubber membrane. The latex glue they recommended for the membrane didn't stick,. If someone held a gun to my head and I had to do it again I would use old fashioned solvent based contact cement.

Replaced part of my 5 wheel roof wasn’t that hard didn’t have to replace any structural wood just plywood on roof and glue down a section

The torch on membrane will not lift off without ripping a ply off the plywood.

Quote Originally Posted by tim3500 View Post
    Doing a 36 ft keystone Everest 5th wheel trailer took me aprox 6 days to layup a new roof and upgrade the insulation fabric was about $2900 including supplies look es like New good for another 15-20 years main roof wasn't a problem but the slides were a little trickier.
    6 days! Was that all day, everyday? I heard this roof job in the industry pays out about 35 hrs labour. Thankfully no slides, with aluminum studs/trusses, I am hoping it is pretty straight forward, just plywood and membrane replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Edzzed View Post
    We have an 08 and our roof never leaked. When it was days old to us I bought a large roll of eternabond tape. I sealed every part imaginable and re-caulk the windows every 3 years. I use that futureme.org to send myself reminders of when things are due to be done.
    I'm not surprised, my 2011 that I am selling has a perfect roof, it helps that I store it indoors, but also that I perform regular maintenance. So mnay owners neglect basic maintenance, it's not a wonder why roofs are shot on trailers that aren't even that old.

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    I am just finishing up an 8ft camper I custom made for myself, all plywood or osb, no tin. Tin sweats and causes rot and mildew so thats the reasoning.
    I sealed the unit with liquid rubber, the black stuff is thicker and I used it on the roof and about 6" down each side.
    Then I used the white stuff on the walls, its thinner so I thought it would be fine on the walls.

Then to reflect the heat on the black roof I went over the roof with the white and that worked good so....several coats on all surfaces cost me about $250-$300.
    No leaks, and its good for 5 years and can be touched up easy and cheap.

Another option to think about....re-plywood then get a duradeck installer to put duradeck over it, its pricey but I checked into it and its an option especially if a pro puts it on and folds the corners properly. If you don't care about color then you may find an installer who has a part roll and you can get that at a discount.

One more option I checked into and almost did...put a torch on membrane over the plywood, get a pro to put that on too, its abit heavy and pricey too. If you know someone in the business you may get the material cheap, like I got a part roll of the membrane from a torch on buddy for free, and he would of torched it on for me for a bottle on a saturday.
    The membrane is the kind they put on over a deck before pouring concrete over it, its about 3/16" thick or so.
    Hope this gives you some idea's.
    What about pool liner? I heard this is an option also, just need to paint it white it is black liner. I was doing some reading and apparently there ha e been changes in technology with membranes the last few years, so they are as basic as good old rubber, etc. Still not sure they are worth paying for from an RV dealer...

Quote Originally Posted by ghost View Post
    Replaced part of my 5 wheel roof wasn’t that hard didn’t have to replace any structural wood just plywood on roof and glue down a section
    This is what I am hoping for! Fingers crossed...

Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Beside that tent trailer, I've rebuilt my hunting camper. Not the roof, just the back end and wings, a common problem. I've done a fair bit of RV work over the years. Two must have RV tools are a Fien multicrafter, or one of it's clones and Kreig jig. The Fien lets you cut odd spots and the Kreig lets you screw in the replacement wood.