Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY - anybody replaced a travel trailer roof?

DIY - anybody replaced a travel trailer roof?

As per the subject, any advice on tackling a roof replacement project? Vinyl/rubber membrane roof.. Fibreglass walls. Best way to confirm if mold is present and/or the extent of it?

What would you do differently next time?

TIA
    Last edited by one-shot-wonder; 03-08-2020 at 08:57 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: DIY - anybody replaced a travel trailer roof?

Depending on how particular (fussy) you are and how capable you are it’s a huge job. There will ALWAYS be a lot more too it than originally meets they eye. Done it once and never again. ( I’m an ex contractor with years of experience building homes and condos).

A leaking roof will most likely mean rotting walls and possibly a rotting floor as water runs down hill and the evidence NEVER shows up until a lot of damage has been done.

Not to discourage you but being realistic I would look at other alternatives. I.E. Sell and take your losses and next time do yearly maintenance both on the roof and on the walls so leaks never occur.

Travel trailers are ALL junk....just varying degrees of junk.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

To me it's one of those things that are best left to the pros. Usually you can find a good backyard TV guy that does it pretty cheap compared to the dealers. It's a messy job and its something you want done right. I watched my father in law struggle with his all summer, first it was getting the good quality sealant, the removing the old roof and applying the new, frantically tarping between rainstorms. Depending on the size it can be a big time consuming job.

If its just a matter of new skin and substrate , its pretty straight forward
    If it involves structure and walls and inside finish and and and
    but once it is apart, its part of the way to the landfill anyways
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

There are some cool new two part self levelling deck membranes that are rated to be used over living space.
    I forget the product name but I did a deck with it this summer and I was impressed.

might be the best/easiest option because there’s no complicated detailing like with other roof products

edit: The deck product was Flexstone. It’s not cheap but the install very easy and fast.
    Last edited by WWBC; 03-09-2020 at 08:18 PM.

Good comments... I have a 44' garage to work in so not worried about elements. It's not my trailer but one I am looking into buying cause price is right if your handy. Jayco has aluminum stud/trusses with rigid foam insulation, has me less worried than originally. Throw away existing plywood and replace with new 3/8"ply.. Buy membrane roll and apply adhesive glue... Could it be that easy?
    I'm not naive, but don't mind tinkering at a DIY project.

I have a 20 ft that needs a roof, wood frame and osb, but it is still waterproof for the most part and owes us nothing, so likely will drag it til it doesn't follow
    Good you have a large work space, height can be an issue
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I think the way to repair an RV trailer roof, even preventative maintenance on a new one, is with Linex/Ryno/Raptor spray.

Also, the way to go for the inside of enclosed trailers.

Doing a 36 ft keystone Everest 5th wheel trailer took me aprox 6 days to layup a new roof and upgrade the insulation fabric was about $2900 including supplies look es like New good for another 15-20 years main roof wasn't a problem but the slides were a little trickier.

We have an 08 and our roof never leaked. When it was days old to us I bought a large roll of eternabond tape. I sealed every part imaginable and re-caulk the windows every 3 years. I use that futureme.org to send myself reminders of when things are due to be done.