Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Bino's

Re: Bino's

Quote Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
    The best warranty is the one you don't have to use.
    Amen to that!!!

Nothing worse than being deep in the backcountry, and either your binos, or even worse, your scope has suddenly begun to fog up.
    Have Zeiss Conquest 10x40, and ended up having them fog up suddenly last season. (no drops, no mishandling, like new and pocked in the badlands case).
    Had my dad blow out a bull elk, that came into range for me, lifted rifle, and all I had was fog (2nd day of 10 day hunt...an old Redfield scope).

So yes, warranty is great, and zeiss was great with my binos.
    Can not say the same with a scope from Burris. (original signature was awesome and did take a beating until it fogged up, 20+ years old)
    Spent a small fortune on it, back in the day, but anyways, burris could not fix, but handed me a replacement, their bottom of the line!!!
    When mine was "top of the line"!!! and had "lifetime" warranty.
    So, Burris sucks in my books now (original was made in the USA, and was a tank, and held zero for all the years it was mounted, never needed to be adjusted)
    New ones are crap, and I went from being a huge Burris supported, to I cant stand them now. (due to the way they dealt with me and their warranty)

So yes, not needing to use warranty is the best.
    Doesn't ruin your hunting trip, and doesn't ruin your faith in the company you purchased from.

To the OP - our eyes are all different. Manufacturers use different lens coatings, often even across their own lines, and the best way to determine what will work for him is to have him look through a variety of different binos. Preferably in lower light and outside. You should be able to find a shop that will let you do this.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    - Do you have some proof that $600 binoculars from Vortex are inferior to $600 from another brand?
    - Have you done some tests here where vortex repeatedly came in last?
    - Do you have information on which Chinese factory supplies Vortex their glass and which Chinese factory supplies Leupold theirs?
    - Do you have any credible publications on this that you can point us to at all?

Do you have anything more substantial other than you know 4 guys that had vortex and they hate it?

Just because Zeiss offers a Terra model in the $600 range does not mean it is automatically the best choice. I actually own the Zeiss Terra ED. They are fine, but they do come with a blue emblem surcharge.
    I've seen more vortex products fail in the field than probably all other manufacturers combined. Perhaps this is skewed by seeing guides/wranglers with mid-range optics using them daily for months out of the year, but that's my experience. It's always been issues with build quality vs glass clarity for what it's worth. IMO, they have an attractive price and push their no questions asked warranty hard for a reason. That said everything will fail eventually - Just had the eyepiece from my swaro spotter in for warranty as it had "water drops" in between the lens - but some will fail more often and sooner.

I know a local gun store that does sell vortex.
    But, they did so because so many folks are looking to buy vortex.
    However, its something they felt they had to do, to keep sales up.
    It "was not" that they really wanted to and refused to for quite some time before caving in.
    Privately, they recommend "other binos or scopes".
    Take it for what you want, but it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by butcher View Post
    Find some used Vortex Diamondback. Pretty reliable. Usually can find a pair for $250ish
    ffs lol...
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Also, try looking on Craigslist or call local gun shops.
    My buddy picked up a awesome Swaroski Bino, used, but in mint shape, for a decent price (think he paid 800.00).
    Remember, most of those brands, i am fairly sure, like Zeiss have lifetime warranty on them.

I did buy Terras off of CL, but find they have, or have become, yellow tinted, and the glass aint that sharp.
    Have friends with Nikons, that are decent glass, and great warranty.
    wow if you can find used mint swaro for under $1500, especially from a store...
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by NMO View Post
    To the OP - our eyes are all different. Manufacturers use different lens coatings, often even across their own lines, and the best way to determine what will work for him is to have him look through a variety of different binos. Preferably in lower light and outside. You should be able to find a shop that will let you do this.

I've seen more vortex products fail in the field than probably all other manufacturers combined. Perhaps this is skewed by seeing guides/wranglers with mid-range optics using them daily for months out of the year, but that's my experience. It's always been issues with build quality vs glass clarity for what it's worth. IMO, they have an attractive price and push their no questions asked warranty hard for a reason. That said everything will fail eventually - Just had the eyepiece from my swaro spotter in for warranty as it had "water drops" in between the lens - but some will fail more often and sooner.

well, mid range optics being used daily, for months, by guides is about as tough on gear as it gets.
    The thing to consider also is that more products you have in the field, more failures you will notice.

I've heard people say, "Oh i've seen only one Leica bino fail in the field and a dozen vortex"

Well yes, but how many people in the field did you see using Leica in total? 10? How about Vortex? A thousand?

I'm not saying vortex is great. I'm just of the opinion their products are good for the price

Tons of them in the field. There will be lots of failures, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    wow if you can find used mint swaro for under $1500, especially from a store...
    Same store, I picked up a rifle an owner was selling there.
    Not one shot thru it, picked it up for less than half.
    700.00 cash, on a 1500.00$ + tax rifle.

I personally have fully switched to a combo Bino/rangefinder I was sick of carrying two units.

well, mid range optics being used daily, for months, by guides is about as tough on gear as it gets.
    The thing to consider also is that more products you have in the field, more failures you will notice.

I've heard people say, "Oh i've seen only one Leica bino fail in the field and a dozen vortex"

Well yes, but how many people in the field did you see using Leica in total? 10? How about Vortex? A thousand?

I'm not saying vortex is great. I'm just of the opinion their products are good for the price

Tons of them in the field. There will be lots of failures, of course.
    I would have to agree with that point of view. You make a good point about the ratio of "alpha" glass to mid level optics. That being said I have sent my Razors back to Vortex twice in 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Astepanuk View Post
    I personally have fully switched to a combo Bino/rangefinder I was sick of carrying two units.
    I have thought about the same thing but it would make bow hunting alittle harder IMO. I need to be able to pull up a small range finder quickly and discreetly.

- Do you have some proof that $600 binoculars from Vortex are inferior to $600 from another brand?
    - Have you done some tests here where vortex repeatedly came in last?
    - Do you have information on which Chinese factory supplies Vortex their glass and which Chinese factory supplies Leupold theirs?
    - Do you have any credible publications on this that you can point us to at all?

Do you have anything more substantial other than you know 4 guys that had vortex and they hate it?

Just because Zeiss offers a Terra model in the $600 range does not mean it is automatically the best choice. I actually own the Zeiss Terra ED. They are fine, but they do come with a blue emblem surcharge.
    Relax, kid. No need to blow a gasket.

Doesn't sound like you've compared Vortex side by side with other brands before. They advertise their no limits warranty hard because their products fail more than others, not because there is more of them out there. They've done a good job at appealing to the average joe - weekend warrior type. There's a reason not many guys who spend days on end behind the glass use them. Not what I want in my hand at first and last light. If you don't spend many days in the field or take the hunting thing too serious then sure, grab a pair. But if you have $800 to spend as the OP said, why on earth would you not go with one of the better brands.

You have a history of rallying against quality gear and pushing sub-par products on here so not really too surprised.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."