Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Black Bear Tips

Re: Spring Black Bear Tips

Yep, if you know the bears are following elk, a whiny calf elk call can work awesome. Especially if you time your hunt when the elk are dropping calves.

I am now using copper bullets and aiming for the shoulder cause i have had my fill of looking for wounded bears in thick ass bush. Its fun, but i have had my fill

Quote Originally Posted by two-feet View Post
    I am now using copper bullets and aiming for the shoulder cause i have had my fill of looking for wounded bears in thick ass bush. Its fun, but i have had my fill
    Maybe if I was looking for a bear in thick ass bush I will put the rifle in the truck and take the 870 Police in with me .

Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

The book:

ELK HUNTING SECRETS
    byThe Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
    Paperback | August 1, 1999

Hmm mm look for blue..when a bears hide is full , thick..long..it's so black..it's blue..
    look on Google etc for openings back from heavy traffic. .bears NEED openings for grass to graze..the more remote the better..
    Look for wide heads..short snouts..heavy crease up the forehead..small ears off the side of the skull
    Boars have necks..sows do not
    look for front legs stovepipe..straight up down to OUTSIDE OF paws..no wrists..means mature boar
    Look for front moving independently of back..think articulated bus.
    Look for front quarter as big as rear..if big rear.think Oprah..female..

Tracks..front track width in inches..add 1 turn to feet. .5 inch wide front track..6 foot bear.
    Bears need lots of water.
    I have watched a bear for 45 minutes..didn't see cubs..but then they showed up..hadn't seen them in total of entire 45 minutes..knew it was a sow..so waited..good plan.
    Most 5 foot bears all look the same..
    6 footers stand out..
    biggest challenge is 7 foot boars..everything looks mature..however the head looks small..it's only because the body is so big..long.
    I hunted grizzlies in the morning..blacks in the evening..don't even consider morning black bear hunting..still could harvest 2 most every outing.
    I usually go out for 10 days.
    Have 2 young hunters i am headed out to try and share what i have learned in 40 plus years hunting bears.
    Cheers
    steven

Thanks Dapesche !
    Quote Originally Posted by dapesche View Post
    The book:

ELK HUNTING SECRETS
    byThe Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
    Paperback | August 1, 1999

Hanks for posting Steven ! Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmm mm look for blue..when a bears hide is full , thick..long..it's so black..it's blue..
    look on Google etc for openings back from heavy traffic. .bears NEED openings for grass to graze..the more remote the better..
    Look for wide heads..short snouts..heavy crease up the forehead..small ears off the side of the skull
    Boars have necks..sows do not
    look for front legs stovepipe..straight up down to OUTSIDE OF paws..no wrists..means mature boar
    Look for front moving independently of back..think articulated bus.
    Look for front quarter as big as rear..if big rear.think Oprah..female..

Tracks..front track width in inches..add 1 turn to feet. .5 inch wide front track..6 foot bear.
    Bears need lots of water.
    I have watched a bear for 45 minutes..didn't see cubs..but then they showed up..hadn't seen them in total of entire 45 minutes..knew it was a sow..so waited..good plan.
    Most 5 foot bears all look the same..
    6 footers stand out..
    biggest challenge is 7 foot boars..everything looks mature..however the head looks small..it's only because the body is so big..long.
    I hunted grizzlies in the morning..blacks in the evening..don't even consider morning black bear hunting..still could harvest 2 most every outing.
    I usually go out for 10 days.
    Have 2 young hunters i am headed out to try and share what i have learned in 40 plus years hunting bears.
    Cheers
    steven

Quote Originally Posted by two-feet View Post
    It's actually a good strategy...
    Use premium bullets. .I use solid copper by Barnes
    As Robert Rurak. Said use enough gun..I only have 2 rifles.. .270..and .338 I use Barnes 225 grain copper from the .338..it's what I have,
    I hunt blacks like I hunted grizzly.
    calm bears who do not know your in the same postal address..no adrenaline. .
    Shoot with bears facing sideways..aim 1/2 way up from elbow to shoulder..on that large front leg bone..turns that bone to shrapnel AND creates lots of hemmorage from destroyed lungs.yes they still have rear end for power but they don't live long..often it's a vertical tracking / recovery.thinking back..most black bears were recovered under 50 yards often much less.
    Not taking out that front shoulder (s)..still is a dead bear but he gets to decide where to run and defend his life.thick hides, long hair, any fat means wound chanel close up with hair..shifting tissue. Fat etc..blood can be difficult. .thick pads make tracking more difficult than hooved game..make that first shot on calm unaware bear count.one and done.
    If shot UNLESS ITS RAINING OR STARTING TO..give it 15..30 minutes..use flagging ribbon go slow..be especially observant to blood transfer from hide to brush as the bear leaves dodge city..use flagging tape on every blood caste...bent grass, broken brush.they most often will head for thick cover...usually won't get there. .if not found for 2 hours think of nearby water..as with any animal when it bleeds it needs to breathe faster to keep same amount of oxygen getting to brain. .oxygen is carried by the blood..blood loss results in faster respiration. .people too..faster breathing ..loss of energy..fast breathing bear gets dry...desires water
    Hope this makes sense..
    Srupp
    Last edited by srupp; 03-10-2020 at 03:16 PM.

Recovery of bear..when approaching a downed bear observe from safe distance..
    are there signs of life ? Movement..respiration. .chest moving showing breathing..
    Then observe eyes..dead bears have open eyes..closed eyes mean live bear..it takes brain functioning being supplied with oxygen to shut eyes ALL dead bears have open eyes.ALL.
    Approach bear from top side of head..gun loaded ready..poke bear..watch eyes...
    Make your gun safe but access able. ..cancel your tag..
    Remember you shot a bear..there may be more., be aware.
    Grellick your animal..SMILE.
    Cheers
    Srupp

Great info everyone. Thank you!

The boar I was intending to target is a big boy with that articulating walk you mentioned.

If I am trying to manage the bear population around these elk, should I leave the boar or target a sow?