Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Black Bear Tips

Re: Spring Black Bear Tips

Subscribed

Quote Originally Posted by Fella View Post
    Sleep in and stay up late
    ^^ This is a better strategy for Cougar hunting....

To all the experienced bear hunters and maybe wildlife experts in our group...

A zone I hunt has a number of black bears and elk. It's private land farms in the bottom and then up slope it is prime elk habitat. I've have two bears on trail camera chasing elk in their transition area.

My question is this and pertains to reducing the number of bear in this important elk zone:
    Should I leave the big boar (who is chasing elk on camera) to own this area and focus on the Sow who is also in the area?
    Will the big boar (who moved into this zone last Spring) force other bears out of the area?
    I have a younger bear on cam chasing a calf so it looks like the young ones are being educated by their parents.

Who would you target? The boar or a sow, if she doesn't have cubs..?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by dapesche View Post
    To all the experienced bear hunters and maybe wildlife experts in our group...

A zone I hunt has a number of black bears and elk. It's private land farms in the bottom and then up slope it is prime elk habitat. I've have two bears on trail camera chasing elk in their transition area.

My question is this and pertains to reducing the number of bear in this important elk zone:
    Should I leave the big boar (who is chasing elk on camera) to own this area and focus on the Sow who is also in the area?
    Will the big boar (who moved into this zone last Spring) force other bears out of the area?
    I have a younger bear on cam chasing a calf so it looks like the young ones are being educated by their parents.

Who would you target? The boar or a sow, if she doesn't have cubs..?

Thank you.
    I think you're putting too much emphasis on certain bears. Not sure how much you're able to get out, but even if you can go for a drive every day after work to see who, what's where.

I know my one bear spot has all sorts of bears running around mid May. You'll see one around basically every corner. Then later in May, it's hard to see anything, then late June they're a little more regular again but not as abundant as mid May.

If you know the area has bears, get out there and treat every bear as a unique opportunity.

As for the predator calls... well my deer call in particular. I've never seem to have luck with them in May. But when June rolls around, bears come in hot. I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced different.

I have heard that Skunk Cabbage is a favourite of theirs .
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

How far away will cubs be from the sow if she has them ?
    Arctic Lake

Quote Originally Posted by dapesche View Post
    I read a great elk hunting book that a friend lent to me. It was a compilation of hunting tips from guides.
    No big stories, just tips.

I am hoping we could get a thread started of just your tips for hunting bear. A concise as possible.

With family obligations, I haven't had the chance to hunt bear in the Spring. I've killed a few ungulates over the last couple years and I think I owe it to them to take out some predators. #UngulateNeutral #UngulatesLivesMatter

So please share so tips that are core to your Spring Bear Strategy so we can all get out there and harvest some bears.

Thank you.
    Dapesche. Would you care to share the title of the elk book and the author ?
    Arctic Lake

+1 one for the predator call. I've also had good luck huffing them in, can be a great tool for bow hunting or if they're held up inside the timber and you don't have a shot...they can come in ready to scrap though so be prepared. Half the time when I mention huffs people have no idea what I'm talking about so I made this quick video explaining it.

"You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

Bears in the elk house = buy two tags and bring your friends. Short bears....shoot all bears.
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Dapesche. Would you care to share the title of the elk book and the author ?
    Arctic Lake
    ya what's the book title and author?