Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Black Bear Tips

Re: Spring Black Bear Tips

Vancouver island 2 day hunt saw 3 bears. Mom and 2 cubs so no shooters. We looked high and low we found sign low tracks, nibbled skunk cabbage broken alders etc. Unfortunately we did not manage to connect on any bears.

. I am region 8 kelowna area to be exact. I have been looking for a couple years now and have not seen a real live Bear beside a Grizzly in 8-10.and I have been looking hard.��

Quote Originally Posted by 04FX4 View Post
    . I am region 8 kelowna area to be exact. I have been looking for a couple years now and have not seen a real live Bear beside a Grizzly in 8-10.and I have been looking hard.��

I hope you’re trolling us lol, zone 8 may very well have one of the healthiest bear populations in the entire region ^^

Very important to take your time observing the bear. I have spotted on a couple separate occasions where a cub and sow are together and then all of a sudden the cub climbs a tree, falls asleep and for 45min if you saw that sow you would have no idea she had a cub. Other instances I have spotted a "lone sow" until 20-30 min later one or two cubs appear from tall grass, up a tree or from inside the tree line. Patience is key, DO NOT rush your shot with bears unless you can obviously tell its a big boar. The ability to distinguish between boar and sow in my experience only comes with time actually observing bears in the field. Especially if its your first bear and you are very excited, we all know how hard it is to control the excitement of your first harvest! Watching bears is also very rewarding especially if you do get the chance to see a sow and cubs interacting, the behaviour you will witness is truly special to see in person. Good luck and have fun!

Was out today and spotted a sow with two cubs at the snow line. They didn’t move to far in the hour I observed them. Still no greenery around. It’s getting close though , probably be end of the month before things heat up. It was darn cool with that wind today.
    You can crap in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up first

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    Was out today and spotted a sow with two cubs at the snow line. They didn’t move to far in the hour I observed them. Still no greenery around. It’s getting close though , probably be end of the month before things heat up. It was darn cool with that wind today.
    thanks Pauly..Susan and I had to remove our travel trailer from winter storage today..significant difference in snow levels just 25 kilometers from Williams Lake...cold..coming week is supposed to be mid teens...gonna be tough sledding for bears even start of May...
    Cheers
    Steven

Yeah I’ve lived in the loops my whole life I’ve seen some cold marches before but nothing like this year and April hasn’t been much better. I have a feeling if we get hot fast we’re in trouble with lots of flooding.
    You can crap in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up first

Was out yesterday in region 2-19 hiking old logging roads. was good looking bear country but didn’t see any bears or even any sign. did however find a group of about 12 highly elusive region 2 elk

Quote Originally Posted by snipersights View Post
    Oh ok Nvm I’m on Vancouver island
    Your inbox was full. I tried sending you a PM, LOL

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    I hope you’re trolling us lol, zone 8 may very well have one of the healthiest bear populations in the entire region ^^
    No not trolling just learning is all.. that may be why I don’t see them.I spend most of my time in 8-10 because it’s my back yard.