Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Black Bear Tips

Re: Spring Black Bear Tips

Hmmm smell will ruin a stalk or spotting...you can't fool a bears nose better than a blood hound...
    some noises are tolerated..there is lots of noise in the woods..
    Movement will also bust you..sitting still in camo has allowed me to get really close to incoming bears..
    Use a tree or brush behind you to break up your sillouet,
    grass grows first in cut blocks, along remote Rd, fields..cut blocks ..the residual tree stumps act as a heat sink...soak up sun and radiate heat into the evening...results snow opening..grass grows around those vertices stumps..grass is good.
    Any place the sun can hit the ground will melt the snow..grow grass...attract bears...
    Meandering creeks in the open the extra moisture attracts grass growth..bear heaven.
    The more remote..the less human interference. ..the better..now add grass...you have a bear spot..the bigger the opening the better but even better is down a old logging road...the small logging landings..golden.
    Artic Lake your email is full bud.
    Cheers
    Srupp

Skunk cabbage and the other is fiddle heads ..both are used early in spring by bears to remove fecal plugs.

Thanks Steven will empty tomorrow morning !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    but even better is down a old logging road...the small logging landings..golden.
    This,^^^^^^^ I run all the old overgrown trails I can find on my quad looking for just such spots. They type of roads that are overgrown with alders you need to plow over and through that look like a jungle to most. You will know real fast when you hit the jackpot. A
    Sheltered clearing, lots if feed, water and escape everywhere. Being adjacent to or on a steep hillside that catches the afternoon sun is a bonus. And not being able to spot it from distance or easily walk to drive in will keep most hunters out.

Back out and slip in slow and quiet in the evening
    Last edited by Ron.C; 03-26-2020 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    This,^^^^^^^ I run all the old overgrown trails I can find on my quad looking for just such spots. You will know real fast when you hit the jackpot. Sheltered, lots if feed, water and escape everywhere. Being adjacent to or on a steep hillside that catches the afternoon sun is a bonus. And not being able to spot it from distance or easily walk to drive in will keep most hunters out.

Back out and slip in slow and quiet in the evening
    Ron..you made me chuckle. .I have one such spot..17 km from my travel trailer...just a small old logging landing 30 yards off a secondary old logging road...your description twiggy immediately. Guaranteed bears.guaranteed.period.
    I sent 2 hunters into this spot last May, knowing and telling them there WAS a great bear. 7 footer in there..first evening out comes punkenhead.....slob..unfortunately they missed....bringing up rule number 1....site in your rifle prior to every hunt.

Not many 7 footers left that Matt hasn't dropped....lol
    Cheers
    Steven
    Artic Lake. .just wanted a phone number..4 decades of bear hunting..lol too much to type.

Ron..you made me chuckle. .I have one such spot..17 km from my travel trailer...just a small old logging landing 30 yards off a secondary old logging road...your description twiggy immediately. Guaranteed bears.guaranteed.period.
    I sent 2 hunters into this spot last May, knowing and telling them there WAS a great bear. 7 footer in there..first evening out comes punkenhead.....slob..unfortunately they missed....bringing up rule number 1....site in your rifle prior to every hunt.

Not many 7 footers left that Matt hasn't dropped....lol
    Cheers
    Steven
    Artic Lake. .just wanted a phone number..4 decades of bear hunting..lol too much to type.

nightmares .. nightmares..

Hmmm without the ones that got away the ones you harvest wouldn't mean quite as much....I still wince with my misses..and those nightmares.

Huntingtyler123 hope you are well.
    Cheers
    Steven

Hmmm without the ones that got away the ones you harvest wouldn't mean quite as much....I still wince with my misses..and those nightmares.

Huntingtyler123 hope you are well.
    Cheers
    Steven
    yes for sure,
    all good down here Steven, thank you. I hope everything is good up in your neck of the woods also. Staying happy and healthy

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingtyler123 View Post
    yes for sure,
    all good down here Steven, thank you. I hope everything is good up in your neck of the woods also. Staying happy and healthy
    Hmmm does this particular post jive with what you experienced last spring ?
    I can't Remember if you met the hunter known as M 4 bear..?
    Glad you are happy healthy...
    Cheers
    Steven

Hmmm does this particular post jive with what you experienced last spring ?
    I can't Remember if you met the hunter known as M 4 bear..?
    Glad you are happy healthy...
    Cheers
    Steven
    ya James and I met him last spring. We where camped by him originally. Really excited for this spring. Work won’t be in the way of things this time with work being shut down and everything.

Cool Re: Spring Black Bear Tips

... Not many 7 footers left that Matt hasn't dropped....lol
    Recently learned of another that should top seven feet.
    Will be verifying when he gets up and about.
    But no interest in taking him until late fall.
    Love the bear grease and taste of pudgy fall bears...

Cheers & Best of Luck this spring my Friend!
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me