Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Black Bear Tips

Re: Spring Black Bear Tips

Quote Originally Posted by cjensan View Post
    I've seen a few mention Mid May as being the time to go. I would be interested in hearing a few recommendations on good locations as well.

I've been skunked last couple years mostly due to working my butt off and not being able to get out in the right time and not having any decent locations to try.
    hmm your going to have to try hard a few days straight before may long maybe take a long weekend and hunt tell you harvest.

I’m going to HOPEFULLY try and hunt for a spring blackie this year . I really don’t want to make the mistake of shooting a bear and find out it had Cubs ! Does anyone have a link to pictures comparing the two sexes as in judging in the field . I know Srupp has written some identifiers .
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

From my experience if a bear.sees.you and looks scared.but wont leave, look where it glances and look for cubs up a tree.
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    I’m going to HOPEFULLY try and hunt for a spring blackie this year . I really don’t want to make the mistake of shooting a bear and find out it had Cubs ! Does anyone have a link to pictures comparing the two sexes as in judging in the field . I know Srupp has written some identifiers .
    Arctic Lake
    Just be patient and watch. Dont be in a big rush to shoot. Hear lots of stories of guys rounding a corner of a road, seeing a bear, and jumping out and shooting.

In this case, you have no idea if it is a lone bear or if cubs are obscured from view.

Just take your time and watch the bear and be sure its alone before shooting.

A good side benefit of being patient on the trigger is it gives you the time to learn to judge bears.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 03-11-2020 at 08:01 AM.

Thanks for the replies to my question fellas !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Hmmm morning
    sows long slender noses..boars short cut off noses..both sexes have slender noses as youngsters
    Sows no head muscle crease....mature boars head muscle crease
    Sows have no neck....boars have obvious necks
    Sows and all young bears have clear tapered wrists on front legs....mature boars stovepipe arms no taper..no wrist.
    Sows walk dainty..mature boars pendulous movement...
    Sows have Big Back ends..childbirth characteristics..boars are muscular even weight front/ back
    When I finish my first morning coffee. .I might think of more ? Lol
    Cheers
    Srupp

Quote Originally Posted by upperleftcoaster View Post
    seems to be trending towards a more spot n stalk hunt - anyone go about it differently? still hunting slowly through some areas, or a more ambush/blind setup with calls?

i'll be starting my deer scouting about bear season opener. will keep a tag handy
    The thing about prime bear season is every method works. My main after work method is road hunt to a certain side road, then do the 8km walk in and out. But once again, different locations facilitate different methods better. If I'm hunting the alpine, I'm probably going to get up high and just start glassing. Around the coast, I'm probably going to work power lines, roads and clear cuts.

Road Hunting:
    Pros - Can cover lots of ground
    - Better chance of an easy recovery
    Cons - Not ideal for new bear hunters if you can't judge between male and female (even the experienced hunters can have a hard time judging once in awhile)
    - You're probably hunting the same spot as everybody else

Still Hunting:
    Pros - Slower movement, less presence to spook bears
    - Have more time to watch and judge bears
    Cons - Wind/scent can bust you faster than anything else

Spot & Stalk: a mix of road hunting and still hunting.

Ambush/Waiting in a blind isn't something I've done personally. I'm sure it works. I've spotted bears, caught their direction and headed them off...

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Arctic Lake
    Spend time in the bush and watch bears is the best. You can look at pictures and videos all day long, but nothing beats just watching them in their natural area. Eventually you'll just know. But if you have to guess at all, just let it walk and watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    From my experience if a bear.sees.you and looks scared.but wont leave, look where it glances and look for cubs up a tree.
    nice one. Thanks for sharing.

so it seems like the general consensus is that in April - early May you should be hunting bears in the late afternoon to evening?

Quote Originally Posted by 45freezer View Post
    +1 one for the predator call. I've also had good luck huffing them in, can be a great tool for bow hunting or if they're held up inside the timber and you don't have a shot...they can come in ready to scrap though so be prepared. Half the time when I mention huffs people have no idea what I'm talking about so I made this quick video explaining it.

Awesome video, just saw your 2019 spring bear video too!

Cheers!
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton