Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Black Bear Tips

Spring Black Bear Tips

I read a great elk hunting book that a friend lent to me. It was a compilation of hunting tips from guides.
    No big stories, just tips.

I am hoping we could get a thread started of just your tips for hunting bear. A concise as possible.

With family obligations, I haven't had the chance to hunt bear in the Spring. I've killed a few ungulates over the last couple years and I think I owe it to them to take out some predators. #UngulateNeutral #UngulatesLivesMatter

So please share so tips that are core to your Spring Bear Strategy so we can all get out there and harvest some bears.

Thank you.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Spring Black Bear Tips

Quote Originally Posted by dapesche View Post
    I read a great elk hunting book that a friend lent to me. It was a compilation of hunting tips from guides.
    No big stories, just tips.

I am hoping we could get a thread started of just your tips for hunting bear. A concise as possible.

With family obligations, I haven't had the chance to hunt bear in the Spring. I've killed a few ungulates over the last couple years and I think I owe it to them to take out some predators. #UngulateNeutral #UngulatesLivesMatter

So please share so tips that are core to your Spring Bear Strategy so we can all get out there and harvest some bears.

Thank you.
    Start low in valleys look for areas first to green up. South east facing slopes deactivated roads clearings or along creek bottoms. Do lots of glassing basically kick back and relax and wait and watch for an opportunity
    You can crap in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up first

Sleep in and stay up late

Just because a bear bails off the road, doesn't mean it's gone forever.

If a bear takes off like it's running for it's life, it's probably a small bear. Generally I find big bears tend to hang around a little longer.

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    Just because a bear bails off the road, doesn't mean it's gone forever.

If a bear takes off like it's running for it's life, it's probably a small bear. Generally I find big bears tend to hang around a little longer.
    Yep, totally agree. Small bears do tend to run for the hills but Ive seen this a pile of times, and especially evening hunts on older overgrown roads/trails. Bigger bears spooked often dont go far and in many cases return to the same patch of grass and continue to feed. Shot my second biggest bear by just sitting and waiting. Could hear him wandering around in the thick stuff and sure enough about 30 minutes later, back out he came.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 03-05-2020 at 11:16 AM.

bump for more good tips

Carry a predator call while your out.

I’ve called in bears I’ve glasses up and watched them cover a couple hundred yards to see what the sound was about. ( they come in surprising slow and give up as soon as you stop calling).

Cover lots of ground until you find good amounts of sign then hunt those areas.
    have fun
    spring bear is my favourite hunt

Considering how under utilized the spring bear season is and how healthy the population is, I think the best tip is just to go.

Know what they are feeding on where you plan to hunt and zero in on water and you’ll find the bears.
    finding a decent bear is a cakewalk. Finding a big old boar is where it gets tough!

keep in mind the big bears love the deep thick timbered draws late spring, lots and lots of cool air !

hunt last hour of light. hunt gaslines. hunt fresh green areas. hunt may-june so the meat is great and their coats are nice and shiny. hunt spot and stalk.

Always remember the extra load of packing out a bear , as opposed to deer.